SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a Balboa 20' that has been in the water and neglected here in Tampa Bay for a while. Want/to get it on the hard for cleaning and to assess swing keel issues. Keel is stuck in the up position. Took a swim underneath, looks pretty rough. Have found couple of sources on swing keel repairs on the net, but not much luck on setting up a trailer for a sailboat. Have a trailer that is rated to carry the weight, but unsure how to set up the bunks for my boat. Is it just a matter of trial and error? Marina i am at now does not have a lift, only a ramp.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would just flat deck the trailer and make two adjustable bunks. Float the boat to the trailer on a slow ramp day. Slide the bunks to it and strap her down real nice.

You can build a proper cradle after you can see her out of the water.

This is what I did with the "new" used trailer when the cheap trailer that came with my jetboat rotted out and collapsed six months after I bought it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i got'er on the trailer and back home. Took a couple tries and a trip to the store for more lumber, but got it done. Thanks for the advice. Was nervous cause first thing i had to do was go over the Sunshine Skyway bridge with my rigged trailer. Now the fun begins.....

·
Montgomery 17
384 Posts
Good job, I'm sure it was quite the hurdle.

Have some more fun getting that swing keel out. I was in a similar situation not so long ago. I couldn't get the keel down so I ended up drilling a hole from inside the cabin so that I could get a rod on top of the keel and pound it free with a sledge hammer. It worked and now the hole is glassed over and it works just fine!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perithead- actually the keel came free as we were loading on the trailer. It's a crusty mess, but i think it is going to be operational without too much effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts