SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
InlandGirl-

You shouldn't have a problem with that... I've done much the same with a 28' Trimaran. A 15-18' trailer sailor should be a breeze for you... given your description of yourself.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
I'd recommend something more like a Compac Legacy, which is 16'6" LOA, and has a small cabin, so you can overnight in it in a pinch. It's about 1000 lbs and has a draft of about 16" with the board up, 3' 6" with the board down. Here is a link to the brochure about the boat. LINK and one to the website. LINK

The boat is designed to be quickly and easily rigged. And the boat has most of the features you'd find on a larger sailboat, so that when you move up in size, you're not going from a cat-rigged or lateen-rigged boat to a sloop, as the Legacy is sloop rigged.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
USCGRET1990 said:
It sounds like too much for you! Tell me what boat ramp, and I'll meet you there ;-)
At his age, he probably needs your help more than you need his... :D

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
USCGRET1990 said:
Yes but, serious supervision will be required!
LOL... you just want to be out sailing with a PYT... ;)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
InlandGirl-

I know a quite a few owners of the Compac series of boats that thought they were chunky to begin with... however, they do have other qualities that make up for their somewhat less than perfect lines... ;) Hobie cats, while fun boats, aren't really suitable to what you want to do IMHO, and really aren't suitable to GTB summer cruises.

BTW, I too spent a good part of my time when I was younger at Community Boating, on their Cape Cod Mercury fleet. :D Are you originally from the Bay State or did you learn at CBI while attending school here?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
:D One of my favorite memories from sailing at CBI is the time that my twin and I got a Mercury stuck under the Longfellow Bridge. ;) Not recommended.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Cam, is that your high school senior portrait... ;)
camaraderie said:
Inland Girl...I think you need a real man to help you with that...

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
USCGRET1990 said:
I bet there are some trailer sailers out there with unstayed masts, that would be real easy to set up for launch...
A lot of the cat boats would qualify.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
One thing sailormann forgot to point out is how much faster and easier launching your boat is if you keep it a one of these facilities. Some will even launch your boat for you, if you call a day ahead of time. :D

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
LOL..... Just watch out for the ******** in their bass boats. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts