SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
You can do it!

You can definitely do it.

However you should put some thought into getting the right boat, the right trailer, and developing a routine at the dock. I learned to launch a J/24 mostly by myself, but ultimately it was too much work. You don't want a fixed keel or keel stepped mast. I have a 14' hobie cat which is an order of magnitude easier to rig and launch. The J/24 took me about 4 hours to rig and launch, the Hobie takes about 15 minutes.

Actually, I'd suggest a cat as one possibility for you. You can go fast, and they don't weigh much - so you can pull it completely up on the beach yourself if needed. You're more likely to get wet however. I paid $1000 for a used Hobie with trailer and sails.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am starting (re-starting) with a 13' Zuma. Un-stayed mast (no wires), sail zips on, hull is only 130 pounds, self bailing cockpit, seems to be the perfect starter boat but is also very fast / sporty when the wind picks up 15+ kts..

:)

·
Registered
980 Posts
While you are looking for your boat, investigate the area that you are sailing in. There may be some Sailing Clubs (as opposed to yacht clubs), that are specifically oriented to "drysailing". This is to say that they cater to people who do not leave their boats in the water all the time, but launch them and haul them out every time they sail.

If you can find one of these clubs, then you will likely find that you can keep the boat there on its trailer with the rig up so that you do not have to raise and lower the mast each time you use it.

If there are no sailing clubs, then phone the yacht clubs and ask about their drysail facilities. Although it would cost more to join one of the clubs than it would to store the boat at home, the information, support and camaraderie you'll find will more than compensate for the added expense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.