SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a question about trailerable sailboats.

How difficult is it to step the mast on these boats? There are times when I won''t have any assistance and if I want to use such a boat I''ll need to be able to do this by myself.

I''m not weak by any means, but I am a 5''5", 120 pound female.

Any thoughts on this?

Wildheart

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a Santana 21 swing keel trailerable boat and it all depends on the size of your boat AND the size of the mast. Mine was relatively easy to put up and down and you could do it with leverage and a well-thought out method. Then I had to replace the mast (broke from metal fatigue) and chose one size larger and it became three times more difficult. I chose the larger mast because all of my sailing was ocean -- coastal and I wanted the additional strength/safety.

David

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Sounds like you need to try out different boats to see how hard they each are for you. Then compare the sailing characteristics of the ones you can step the masts of to see which suits you best. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
We have a Macgregor 26. I can put up the mast myself. My wife would have difficulty. We rig a pulley to the front stay and as I push up the mast she takes in the slack. Just the oppisite to lower. The mast is light but akward to handle alone. Together it is no problem except getting stuff tangled.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
We use the mast raising system made for the boat which gives much better leverage.Also 1 person is able to do the job if neccesary.
My wife can easily crank up the mast using the winch. Fairwinds-

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I guess it all depends on the boat. I have a 25'' O''day that is "trailerable" but the mast is 31''.... I hand stepped it one time, it took 5 men to steady, lower and catch it. Would have been easier with a wench. But like it was said, have to look at each boat and how it is set up.

J

·
0 Posts
I suspect that having a ''wench'' might have helped in that you can always use another pair of hands but a sheer leg with a ''winch'' might have been more helpful. ;^)

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts