SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are just starting to look for a sailboat (25-28') that we can trailer, cruise on for a week or two, and cross back and forth to the Bahamas (we live in FL) during good weather and do weekends on her. I've been looking at Catalina 25 & Bayfield 25s on the internet. We are thinking in the price range of 15,000.

We are both somewhat experienced sailors. We did some off shore & ICW of the East Coast and went to the Bahamas from Key Biscayne to Norman's Cay and back.

I am really open to any suggestions or ideas!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Another make to consider is the Hake/Seaward line. Many have lifting keels and shoal draft.

Here's an example: Seaward 23

They have other models going up in size and price.

Another little boat I like is the Beneteau First 235. It might be a bit smaller than what you're looking for, though. But when folks mention "trailerable", I always try to keep the suggestions as modest as possible in size.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Owning a ComPac 23, I am very biased. It is a great little boat, but it may be a little small for what you plan on doing. I spent a week on mine by myself, and by the end of the week it was getting very small. My fiancee and I overnight on it, and for that it is perfect. It is a wonderful little boat for daysailing, and weekends in relatively protected waters. I don't think I would want to go for an extended cruise on it. It will take some weather, but I don't think I would want to get into anything too nasty. So far we have had her out in winds to 25 knots and she did just fine, but doesn't like the chop too much. For crossing to the bahamas, I would definitely want something a bit bigger (27+).

What kind of vehicle do you have? What is its towing capacity? Also do you plan on keeping it in the water and towing it occasionally, or will you be keeping it on a trailer? There is a big difference between a trailer sailer and a boat that you will only occasionally trailer. If you have a big enough truck, the Cat 27 would be a great boat as long as you plan on keeping it in the water. I wouldn't want to have to set it up each time I went sailing. Also there are a number of them within your price range.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Cape Dory 25D. Do not confuse the 25D with the 25.

The 25 D's lines are shown in my avatar.

She is trailerable only in the sense that she is 8 1/2 feet wide. It would not be a good choice for someone who wants to take her out to the water for a couple of days and then take her back home.

The attraction to me is that she is transportable, has standing headroom (5'11") and does not have a V berth. I don't like V berths.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a simmilar dream but less expirience and a smaller budget. I was thinking a cape dory 25, morgan 25, bristol 24, and of course a contessa 26 [probably out of my price range or hard to find]. any opinions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got a Beneteau 235, and she's a wonderful boat. These things are built like tanks. The downside is that, while trailerable, I wouldn't call them trailer sailers. Getting the hull lined up on my trailer takes a boat hoist because of the wing keel. Also, raising the mast without a gin pole or crane is a challenge, though various people have their solutions on Beneteau First 235 - A pocket racer with cruising aspirations! beneteau235.com.

The Seaward 25 with a shoal keel goes off and on a trailer quite easily. A friend of mine has one, and launches and recovers from boat ramps. Also, walking the mast up isn't particularly difficult. Can be done with two, but three is easier.

Hope this helps.
Mark

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another vote for the Seaward 25. Mast handling is easy. Cabin is fine for 2, though headroom is < 5'9". Comes with a real head and a 2-burner galley. Factory is in Stuart, FL. They made a shoal draft version, which I have, as well as some pre-89 centerboard ones.
Great community on the Trailersailor BBS

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Just curious, what do you mean by trailerable. There are a lot of boats in the 25-28' range that can be stored and transported on a trailer, but can not be launched from the trailer without using a crane or travellift. Those boats are not "trailerable" IMHO.

The Cape Dory 25D is a great boat, and more than capable of making such a journey as you're requesting, but it isn't a trailerable boat IMHO.

Some of the truly trailerable boats, like the Compacs and smaller Catalinas/Hunters aren't really all that suitable for crossing to the Bahamas IMHO, without a really good weather window. Some aren't even qualified for that.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just curious, what do you mean by trailerable. There are a lot of boats in the 25-28' range that can be stored and transported on a trailer, but can not be launched from the trailer without using a crane or travellift. Those boats are not "trailerable" IMHO.........
That's a good comment. Those boats are "transportable", let's say. Trailers are made for them and the same guys that move mobile homes will move them for you, (if you can't do it yourself) but you ain't gonna want to do it more than a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This Thread greatly interests me....to the point of:

I thought I would "need" a 32-35 footer..

but transporting it from Ohio to FL and back once a year....(winters in FL) makes that a tough call.

Any suggestions on the largest transportable? towing with a 3/4 ton pickup?

just curious.......as keeping it on the coast isn't out of the question as long as I can find reasonable storage.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Towing a boat in the 30-35' range with a higher HP pickup is not an issue. Assuming of course you get a reasonably lighter style boat. Many J105's are hauled around the country behind 3/4 and 1 ton dully pickups. They haul the boats legally with in the 8.5' max width by putting the boats at an angle, ie the beam is at an angle. Not sure if any of you have seen unlimited hydros towed, but same idea. Being here in Seattle, where it seems like most of these style boats are HQ'd, I see quite a few.

Melges 32's, mumm 30's to name a few are also transported on trailers to different events behind typical 8 lug pickups also. Here is a link to me towing my stepdads boat, granted this one is about 9.5' wide, it weighs all of 6500 lbs, with a 1500 lb trailer. no real issues.
Picasa Web Albums - jan - Seabird II

As far as is something trully trailerable, I guess that is in ones definition of trailerable. Any rig under the max 8.5' width is easily trailer able, launching it may be an issue if it as a keel of any depth with out a hoist, or a trailer tongue extension. Even boats up to 9.5' can be hauled around with out too many permits etc. Look for the laws in the states you will be travelling, and go from there.

Marty

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks....that opens up a lot of options I hadn't thought of previously....

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Of course if you want a 40'r, look at that container boat perry designed. That boat being just under 8' IIRC, should be towable any where too. There are some options out there. Keep the whole thing under 12-13K lbs for a SW rig, upwards of 18 with a dually, those are my max limits for those style trucks, some pull more, and start looking.

Marty

·
..........huh?..
395 Posts
Buckeye,

Seaward makes a 32 foot retractable lead bulb keel boat that is trailerable and launchable from a ramp. I would say it is on the edge of towable with a 3/4 ton pickup and has a 10 plus beam. Special permits for most states to move. Whether it is trailerable probably depends on individual comfort levels. I am a truck driver by profession and have a 1 ton pickup so I wouldn't personally rule it out. In fact I have a great interest in more input on this boat as it seems like it would fit our needs nicely. I've been on one and they seem well made with great (and expensive) gear but I've never sailed one. Anyone with any experience?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The camper I pull is around 4 tons.....and you really know it's back there. I'm sure 12 or 13K would be a real struggle....

bigger truck perhaps.????

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
What motor is in you pickup? you may not need a bigger truck, as much as a bigger motor. Or a newer rig with more HP. My 2000 pickup with a vortec 350 has more power than my 454's before it. The 454's had TBI or 4 bbl fuling systems, the Vortec multiport FI, and has more HP, a bit less torque. 454's 235/385 hp torque specs, the 350 - 255/335. All had 4.10 gears and TH400 or 4L80E 4spd equal.

I had a 96 GM with a 65.td, a supposed gutless SOB, but with the manual 5 spd, it would do quite well pulling a 12K trailer I tow. Other than I found as I said earlier, when I get to about 2x the GRAWR of a given truck, the trailer seems to wag the dog more than I like. Here is a pic of the 96 with a 12K trailer behind it.

Meanwhile, my dually handles it just fine. my MDT dumptruck even better, but that thing is a slug with an old NA 7.3 V8 in it! My dmax does not know the trailer is back there with 2 tons in the bed too. a total of about 26K, I can go 55 no issues up 3-5% freeway grades.

So for the question of the day, how do I make this picture narrower????? sorry folks!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts