SailNet Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Yes it is wasington state, and yes that is a ski area behind me. I'm on the alpental road with the sahalee ski club behind me, an the washington alpine club behind the picture taker. This is just north of I90 on snoqualmie pass in the cascades. Guye peak is the shadow behind the clouds.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
You might also try these guys. I know nothing about quality etc. There were some smaller version at the Seattle show a few yrs ago, looked pretty good/nice for the price.

Freedom Boat Works

marty

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,164 Posts
The best true trailerable boat also suitable to coastal cruising in my opinion is the S2 7.9 S2 7.9 Class web page . This design has soo stood the tests of time, that you now have the opportunity to buy a new one if you have the deep pockets for such. Check one out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cd25

I used to own a Cape Dory 25D that came with a trailer from Triad. It was a great boat that sailed beautifully. We trailered it from Wisconsin to Florida for trip to the Bahamas as well as some trips to Canada and around the Great Lakes. We also trailered to and from the marina each year to avoid storage fees and because its a lot easier to do maintenance in your own backyard. We used a 1/2 ton pickup rated to tow 7500 lbs with a wgt distributing hitch. Basically our strategy was to launch the boat ourselves, but pay for lift onto the trailer to avoid hassles and make sure the boat was properly lined up on the trailer pads. You do have to have a good ramp and a tongue extension for the trailer to launch since the draft is 3'6".

·
Registered
285 Posts
Go Small Go Cheap!

If this is your first boat I say go small and cheap. I started out several years ago thinking I needed (wanted) a lot more boat than I did. Get something easy enough that you can step the mast and do an overnighter and unstep and load from a boat landing the next day. You don't want stepping the mast to be such a chore it keeps you from going out. Also this gives you the opportunity to try a month or so at a marina or anchor out; if it doesn’t work you can trailer the boat and leave it in your yard. If you have to pay a hoist every time you launch you will miss out on a ton of sailing. Think of some of the limiting factors.

Difficulty of stepping mast
Weight of boat plus trailer and supplies (tow vehicle)
Inboard vs. outboard and associated costs.
Costs go up disproportional to size with sails and bottom paint.
Most marinas have a 33-35 ft minimum so you're not really saving with dockage.

I've owned boats from 16 to 25 feet, actually the one I used the most was an engineless 19 footer that I would weekend on. It was so easy and cheap to operate I spent a lot less time working on the boat (spending money) and sailed more than I ever have. The only limiting factor was that it was a pain to step and unstep the mast for a day sail when its 100 degrees.

I just bought a Starwind 223 that I haven’t picked up yet. I had to buy a bigger truck to pull it but I'm definitely going to pull her down to the keys and I'm flirting with the idea of the Bahamas after I've spent some time offshore on her. I'm sure some would say it’s not the boat to sail across the stream, and I agree it’s not perfect, but with some careful planning and investment of under $5,000 I'll be in Bimini enjoying the same view.

It all boils down to a personal decision for everyone; you have to do what suits your needs. This is just my 2 cents. Hope you enjoy the new boat!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I also looked at the S2 line of boats. Looked like a good choice. Also Catalina Beneteau, Oday to name a few. Get something that sails in 12 knots or less. You'll find yourself motoring a lot less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks

Thanks for your ideas and input. After much research and "Window Shopping" it comes down to two that have everything we are looking for. The Watkins 25' and the Catalina 25'.

Love the sturdiness of the Watkins, the shoal keel, and the layout. Everyone who has one loves her. I found a Watkins that may be the "one" but before we go look at her, we need to find a trailer. :(

I want to go used, but not sure what to look for. The new ones are so pricey!!

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
RE the trailer. If you really like the boat, and it has a place to be moored, go for it, and get the trailer later. You will probably use the boat more if it is in the water initially, and later for that matter, as it is a lot easier to motor down to the marina for me, in 10'ish minutes, 10'ish minutes later the lines are tossed, and I am motoring the boat out of the break water.

Or figure out how to keep the boat in the water most of the time, and trailer it "when" you want to go some where else which will probably be fewer and farther than you think it will be. There is more than one way to skin a cat as folks like to say! or some such thing.

Marty

·
..........huh?..
395 Posts
RE the trailer. If you really like the boat, and it has a place to be moored, go for it, and get the trailer later.
Sailorgirl,

Ditto Blt2ski. Just a thought about finding a trailer. I've looked at a couple of 22 foot boats lately (Catalina and Tanzer) owners were asking $2500.00 for boat and trailer. Both boats were in good to servicable shape and both trailers were in excellent shape. Point is you might be able to find a nice trailer that you can modify relitively easily to your boat and either sell the second boat or salvage it for parts.

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
Don't forget the safety factor. It may be possible to overload your pickup and still get your boat to where you want it, but it may not be the safest way to go. Check the weight ratings for the truck's tires, its rear axle, its hitch, its drawbar and its ball. the system is only as strong as it weakest link.
Next, once you have decided you have enough truck to pull it successfully, make sure your load is secure, and properly spread over the trailer axles and that adequate tongue weight is present. If you find that the load is not making a difference in the height of your pickup box, it's too far back. This could cause some seriousl tail-wagging, and an uncomfortable , not to mention dangerous trip.
If you are over 8.5' wide, you'll lkely need a permit. Same for if you're over 10.5' tall. this varies a little from state to state, so check your local listings.
Beware that state permits are for state roads only, and that municipalities also have their own permitting., so if you are in a city, and are crossing to another city in another state, you will need 4 permits- 1 per municipalty, and 1 per state , assuming you take state roads. if you have to bridge from state to county roads to get to a municipal road, there's another permit. For those who think it's a good idea to forget permits, remember: It only takes one grumpy cop to ruin your whole weekend.

Most of all, check your load periodically when under way. It only takes a couple minutes at a rest stop to check your bearings and tires for temperature, abnormal wear, and to check your tie-downs for abrasions and for tightness.
If you have a minute, check on deck to ensure that nothing is flapping and making a mess of your gelcoat.
OK I'm done now.... As you were, gentlemen (and ladies)

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have no sailing expierience yet, but some advice relavent to your situation. plan every detail in advance, but be prepared to ignore your plan if an oppertunity comes your way

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
mission accomplished

Thanks for all of your suggestions!! I took your advise, Marty and just bought the Watkins 25'. I am so happy we did not pass her by because she didn't have a trailer. I don't know if we will get a trailer for her, as we are going to leave her on a mooring.

Here are the photos we took the day we bought her! We are naming her Calypso. She is in need of a few minor repairs and a good cleaning (I keep them immaculate! Hubby says I am a clean freak! LOL) I will post new ones when we get her cleaned up and renamed (and yes, I know the drill for changing her name. ;) LOL)

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery...check=0&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=&way=&cat=624

Cheryl

·
Registered
Bristol 31.1 K/CB
17 Posts
Just realized I was replying to a zombie thread. O.P was 12 years ago.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts