SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching over the past 2 years to find the "perfect" sailboat for me (given that I live in MO and want something that can be trailered to lakes in the Midwest):
- total weight with trailer less than 3000
- easy to rig (less than 30 minutes)
- a cockpit that is at least 7' so there is room comfortably for 4 adults (day sailing)
- cabin that is comfortable for 2 adults (weekend adventures)
- relatively new

I've looked at Precision 21, Compac Eclipse, Catalina/Capri 22s and each seems to miss on one of the criteria. Am I missing something or are there other alternatives?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
JSN

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Catalina Capri 18 with a trailer. I think it would be possible to raise the mast and launch it in your time limit, if you had two people that had a little experience with it.
Mine is a 1987, but they make a newer version with a different keel. They seem to be well made and inexpensive. I think I have more fun per pound than any boat on the lake. I would not want to sell mine.

·
Captain Obvious
2,370 Posts
My Cat 22 is a ***** to rig. After 2 years I can probably rig and launchwith a helper in 45 hard minutes. However, there is a tremendous difference between my boat and Hunter 18 daysailer

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I've been searching over the past 2 years to find the "perfect" sailboat for me (given that I live in MO and want something that can be trailered to lakes in the Midwest):
- total weight with trailer less than 3000
- easy to rig (less than 30 minutes)
- a cockpit that is at least 7' so there is room comfortably for 4 adults (day sailing)
- cabin that is comfortable for 2 adults (weekend adventures)
- relatively new

I've looked at Precision 21, Compac Eclipse, Catalina/Capri 22s and each seems to miss on one of the criteria. Am I missing something or are there other alternatives?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
JSN

I could build you one

·
Registered
48 Posts
MacGregor 26D or 26S.
The cockpit is almost 7' and it's lighter than most of the boats recommended so far. It is easy to rig by your self. Fast.
I haven't tried yet but I bet you can load it on the trailer your self too.
Great sailing boat. Tender enough to keep you on your toes but won't fall over.
Sleeps 5 adults and one child.
I think it is the perfect boat for anyone that wants to take advantage of different water.
Look here; MACGREGOR 26D sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
It's light enough to pull with a mini van... If your into mini vans.
Boat and trailer 2250lb. Plus the stuff you add.
Check in at the macgregorowners.com site and ask some questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take a look at the West Wight Potter 19 or Sanibel 18.
Thanks .. I hadn't looked at those. I also saw the Voyager 20 on their www site. Another interesting possibility. For all three I can't seem to find any specs on the cockpit length - apart from calling the manufacturer .. anybody know where to find that information?

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
Siren 17'

SIREN 17 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Good amount of cockpit space. Cabin is tiny but can sleep 2.

Weighs nothing (750 lbs) so super-easy to trailer and rig.

Sails somewhere between a dinghy and real keelboat - a little tender if you're used to big boats, but stable enough not to scare you compared to a true centerboard dinghy.

And fast enough to be darn fun in a bit of a breeze.

Probably a fraction the price of any options mentioned so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something like a hunter daysailer might work for your criteria.

Hunter 18:
Hunter 22:

I've got a Buccaneer 18 .. which is similar to the Hunter 18, but the Hunter 22 has some possibilities with its small cabin for 2. The only downside is that we are looking for more of a cruiser that we could be a bimidi on ... but it looks fun!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
My Cat 22 is a ***** to rig. After 2 years I can probably rig and launchwith a helper in 45 hard minutes. However, there is a tremendous difference between my boat and Hunter 18 daysailer
That's good to know. I read on the SBO forum these people talking about getting their rig up in a 30 minutes and that just doesn't seem likely to me. I haven't rigged mine yet, but it took three of us an hour to get it down and imagine it'll be longer to get it back up again.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks .. I hadn't looked at those. I also saw the Voyager 20 on their www site. Another interesting possibility. For all three I can't seem to find any specs on the cockpit length - apart from calling the manufacturer .. anybody know where to find that information?
Call International Marine and ask. They're generally pretty responsive. I've got a P19 and I'm guessing the cockpit seats are just shy of 6 feet. The Sanibel has the same hull but a larger cockpit and smaller cabin, so it may fit the bill. The Voyager is a P19 with a taller rig and a revised interior layout, so it's probably got the same cockpit dimensions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hunter 23.5. Water ballast, so it's light weight. Total weight dry including the trailer is <3500lbs. I've been to Branson and I wouldn't want to be towing some 4-5000lb boat up and down those mountains. Massive cockpit easily seats 6 or more adults and your knees will not touch the person across from you. The cabin is very roomy for this size boat too. The water ballast makes for easy launching in regular (power boat) depth ramps. I find it is made well and all of the hardware is oversized and top brand names, like lewmar winches, Z-spar mast and boom, Doyle sails, etc. I happen to know someone trying to sell one too - in Louisiana of course.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'd take a look at some of the Macgregors. i know people have their opinions about them, but, given your location they may be a good choice.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That's good to know. I read on the SBO forum these people talking about getting their rig up in a 30 minutes and that just doesn't seem likely to me. I haven't rigged mine yet, but it took three of us an hour to get it down and imagine it'll be longer to get it back up again.
My wife and I trailer-launched and rigged our Catalina 22, parked the trailer, bent on the sails and pulled away from the dock in 30 minutes. We retrieved it and made it ready to trail in about the same amount of time. When making a short trip to a local lake, we trailered it with the motor on the mount and the rudder in place, but we lashed the motor to the pushpit, for added security. We didn't remove all the shrouds. We only disconnected the forestay and the forward lowers, and loosened the upper shrouds, and then we coiled all the shrouds and lashed them to the mast with bungees. We lashed the mast to the pulpit and pushpit, with small strips of carpet wrapped around it to protect it from scratches. After you have gone through the process 3-4 times and are familiar with the steps, so that you don't have to stop and think about what comes next, 30 minutes should be realistic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts