SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out which type of bottom paint is to be used for a trailerable catalina 22 that will spend 1-2 months in brackish saltwater at a time in central Florida and trailered in between uses for also 1-2 months at a time? I purchased West Marine CPP Plus ablative but the can says it can only stay out of the water for 14 days prior to launching and only 3 days after launching. Is there a better choice of paint for this situation? I definately need a bottom paint with the growth, but I don't want to have the paint begin to peel or be ineffective once it is out of the water for a short time period. I have read as many posts here as I can find but would like your suggestions. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Interlux calls the low cost Ablative Technology paint "season to season " which means ONE season :)

There better paints are called multi-season and should last until worn away

Then there are also HARD paints that last multi-season from other companys

·
I don't discuss my member
2,627 Posts
Then there are also HARD paints that last multi-season from other companys
He needs an ablative paint if he is going to trailer the boat. "Hard" paints (actually modified epoxies) cannot withstand being out of the water and will become ineffective if trailered for any length of time.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got of the phone with Pettit paints, which manufacture the CPP Plus ablative for WestMarine. The tech told me that the ablative is fine for this type of application. He also indicated that the label on the can of paint is inaccurate and needs to be changed. He was suprised at the statement on the can reading "Maximum dry time before launch is 14 days @70. If the boat is hauled during the season this product will lose effectiveness if left out of the water longer than three days." The tech was submitting a request to have the labeling changed and corrected. He indicated someone must have messed up when preparing the label for WestMarine.

I am just looking for short term protection. If I have to apply a new coat every year or every other year that is fine as long as the growth stays away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts