SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Whitewater to Seawater
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are trailer sailors and are taking our Siren 17 to West Lake Erie for 5 to 6 days. Thinking about sailing around Put-In-Bay and Kelleys island. We could also push it to Isle St George or Middle Bass but I don't think they have much to offer. Looks like the all area it is mostly a motorboat world... We 'll be anchoring half the time and probably spending a couple nights at a marina. Any recommendations of nice anchorages and any sailor friendly marinas at walk-in distance from city life?

Thanks.

Terry.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Concerning marinas, Brands Marina in Port Clinton is a decent place to stop. They are sailboat friendly, and have a great selection of items for sailboats in their store. We stayed there a couple of days last year when we went through the area.

You are correct that there is an overabundance of power boats around the Erie islands. I suppose that Put in Bay is a necessary stop if you have never been there. This year, it is likely the Covid capital of Ohio, and I wouldn't get within a hundred yards of the place. There are a couple of decent anchorages on Middle Bass (once the local kids stop circling you with jet skis). We have never anchored at Kelleys but it should be a good place to stop. Pelee Island, on the Canadian side is a nice stop, but off limits this year.

If you go, keep an eye out for the white pelicans near the islands. They look so out of place on a lake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts