SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are older legacy type transducers compatible with the newer Garmin Echomap series chartplotters? I have an Airmar P79 transducer installed that I currently use with a Standard Horizon DS35. It has a two-wire cable. I oresume that the older P79 is essentially the same as the 8-pin P79 that Garmin recommends.

My plan is to connect the older P79 thru a Garmin 6-pin to 8-pin block (PN 010-11613-00) to a Garmin Echomap 50s, for the depth indication only.

Anyone have experience with this?

·
19,484 Posts
Not directly, but I was able to interface a 25 yr old Signet DS transducer with a new Raymarine ST 40 Depth sounder display head successfully.

The newer version probably has temperature capability - but you shouldn't need to use it if there's nowhere to wire it up. Whether the temp sensor is a match even if you could wire it up is another crapshoot.

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
the Airmar site has the wiring pinouts diagram for most tranducers
as long ans the frequency and power are compatable you can rewire the ends
How are you going to connect the transducer cable to the back of the Garmin plotter..? Even guys like me who do this for a living don't have access to field installable Garmin 6 pin or Garmin 8 pin sounder plugs. Wish I did!!

I have a 560 page specific transducer, NEMA 2000 etc. catalog and even that, with nearly 50 pages of field installable plugs, it does not have a Garmin 6 or 8 pin for sounders.

I can however buy just about any Airmar transducer I want with the Garmin plug I need and I can specify 6 or 8 pin.

As I mentioned the best bet is to find the transducer you want that already has the Garmin plug on it. Anything else won't be water tight or will cost more to cobble together. Garmin's Airmar pricing is often the most competitive of all of them anyway... On my own boat I have a Garmin P-79 depth because it was the least expensive. I cut the Garmin end off and it feeds a Raymarine ST-60 Depth. The ST-60 is easy to do this with because you don't need a proprietary plug just a few Fast-On's. Doing this with Garmin would require a proprietary plug that has been near impossible to find in a field installable model..

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up...

Airmar make/made variations of the P79 transducer; the more common 600 watt dual frequency (50 or 77 & 200 kHz) models, some single frequency (200 kHz) 600 watt models, and some low power (50 watt) models.

Turns out the DST-55A (P79) transducer I had for the Standard Horizon DS35 depth sounder was the single frequency (200 kHz), 600 watt transducer and is compatible with the newer Garmin chartplotter/sounders. The 200 kHz narrow beam frequency is adequate for depth indications only, but not so good for fishing.

Connecting the transducer to the chartplotter sounder was fairly straightforward using the Garmin 8-pin wiring block.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
How are you going to connect the transducer cable to the back of the Garmin plotter..? Even guys like me who do this for a living don't have access to field installable Garmin 6 pin or Garmin 8 pin sounder plugs. Wish I did!!

I have a 560 page specific transducer, NEMA 2000 etc. catalog and even that, with nearly 50 pages of field installable plugs, it does not have a Garmin 6 or 8 pin for sounders.

I can however buy just about any Airmar transducer I want with the Garmin plug I need and I can specify 6 or 8 pin.

As I mentioned the best bet is to find the transducer you want that already has the Garmin plug on it. Anything else won't be water tight or will cost more to cobble together. Garmin's Airmar pricing is often the most competitive of all of them anyway... On my own boat I have a Garmin P-79 depth because it was the least expensive. I cut the Garmin end off and it feeds a Raymarine ST-60 Depth. The ST-60 is easy to do this with because you don't need a proprietary plug just a few Fast-On's. Doing this with Garmin would require a proprietary plug that has been near impossible to find in a field installable model..
how to do this please?

any pictorials?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.