SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can affix a transducer to the inside of our steel hulled sailboat and have it work accurately? In our previous boat a Gulfstar, (fiberglass of coarse) I attached the transducer to the inside of the hull and it worked great...
Thanks, Dave

·
Dufour 27 Newb
109 Posts
No I don't think it would be a good idea but you are best off checking with the transducer's manual - what model is it anyway?!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes you can. A slight loss in performance but not too much. Put a large gob of pure silicone sealer (no acrylic or latex) in the spot against the outside hull you want the transducer, making sure there are no air bubbles in it and wiggle the transducer into the silicone, perpendicular to the water line and wait tor it to set up. There you go.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Logic suggests otherwise but our previous boat was steel and the depth sounder transducer was inside with no apparent performance issues.

Andrew B

·
Banned
3,112 Posts
I could never get a sounder to sound thru my steel hull. Maybe if I welded in a bit of much thinner stainless sheet it would work ,but doesn't work thru 3/16th plate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts