SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. Thank you for sharing.

How long are the lines you carried?
Thanks! From the brochure that we got when we entered the canal.

BASIC EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED
1. Three or four good quality ropes of suffificient length (15 metres) to reach the bottom of the lock chamber
2. Adequate fenders to protect your topsides – 3 or 4 per side should suffice.
3. In addition, a good tip is to lace a canvas sheet between the hull and fenders to avoid scuff marks.
4. If you have a fender plank, use it. 5. Life jackets should be available for,
and preferably worn by all crew. Children and non-swimmers should wear them at all times.
6. Ensure that there is suffificient fuel on board, and that engine controls are working correctly. Refuelling is not permitted in lock chambers.

LOCKING TIPS
Those on board will need to control the craft during the locking process. This is not diffificult if a few rules are observed: 1. Approach the lock slowly and
steadily, if the lock is not ready berth at a transit jetty while the gates
are opened. Please do not ‘hover’ outside the lock. Call the Lock Keeper on VHF Ch74 and follow their instructions.
2. On single locks have a crew member positioned at bow and stern to manage ropes. On lock flflights crew from small vessels should manage ropes on shore as directed by Lock Keepers.
3. Ensure ropes are clear from obstruction and can run cleanly through fairleads or stemhead roller.

·
Registered
23,892 Posts
Very cool. Reminds me of the Erie Canal. When I was in Scotland 30 years ago, I swear I could hardly understand what anyone was saying. I'm a quarter Scottish, but it's not in the genes, I guess.

Feels like we missed all your cruising from outside the Statue of Liberty to Scotland. The shoreside stuff is nice, but this is a sailing forum, man. :)

Give up some passage stories, we're dying to hear them. That hop through New England and across the North Atlantic is on a lot of bucket lists.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts