SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our transmission died, in Vineyard sound. No forward, no reverse, and the shaft no longer spins when sailing. (Yes, we had the proper dipstick back in place.)

We sailed into the harbor and picked up a mooring. So now we are in Martha's Vineyard contemplating our next moves. I called Vineyard Haven Shipyard a little after 6:00 PM and left a message. I plan on calling them in the morning.

By the way, up until this afternoon, the trip has been a "10". Perfect weather, plenty of spinnaker time. We landed at Tarpaulin Cove for a picnic and a short day at the beach, enroute from Cuttyhunk. Dan Goldberg is a gem and the rest of the Sheldrake Yackt Club are a total bloast.

Regards

·
Registered
207 Posts
ouch Bene , that stinks!!! Sorry about your transmission. and things were going so well. Now you really get to test your sailing skills! Too bad you can't borrow my "guardian ANgel".. because I know I must have one and a great one at that when I think of the situations I get out of and the good luck I have. I just sailed my new boat , single handed for the first time today and took it over to Shelter Island..It is a CAt Ketch and not being used to all the lines involved I had my hands full, not to mention my dog charlie came along and of course was underfoot all the time!! ANyway I for got to secure my laptop and left it out on the Nav station...After one big gust that really set me heeling I heard a loud crash and you guessed it my laptop crashed to the sole and across the cabin... I was sure it was destroyed but here I am all tied up in port and connected to sailnet!!! I acn't believe the thing is OK!! I reeally wish I could send you some of my good fortune!! Good luk with getting yur tranny fixed and to keeping to your nearly perfect trip. Rick

·
Registered
928 Posts
Have you tried removing the shift cable and moving the lever by hand??

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried removing the shift cable and moving the lever by hand??
While my son shifted the transmission into forward and reverse, I watched the lever move back and forth properly. So I don't think that's it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Aww jeez Bene - that totally sucks. I'm sorry. Nice work on picking up a ball under sail, though, dude. That's some nice helmsmanship on any boat - much less your big ass Fitty!

Sounds like you guys have been having a great time. Hang in there dude.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
I destroyed a transmission three summers ago. The oil leaked out faster than I was putting it in. Are there any band adjustments that can be made in the field? Can you pull the shift lever cover off and confirm the linkage inside isn't broken? If you have a big enough dinghy and motor, you can always tow yourself in and out of anchorages and wait for some wind to start getting closer to home. I feel your pain. We broke down the second day out on our vacation this summer.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Prop!!!!

The mechanic came. The shaft turns, so it must be warped plates within the transmission. We got an estimate of almost $3,000 and a week from Friday optimisticaly for the repair.
We decided we want a reliable, fixed transmission and were bemoaning the cost and arrangements we'd need to make. Before calling them back with a decision, I decided to do a load test to see how long it took to fail.

In forward at 1K rpm, the shaft was turning. In reverse, hardly any pull on the mooring buoy though. Hmmm. Forward at 1400 rpm and not overrunning the buoy. We should be really lurching forward. Nothing. Smile come to my face. NO PROP !!

Avid sailnet readers will remember that I sent my prop out for servicing at Brewers Marina and had them put it back on and launch the boat.

So I just dove on the boat and looked with my own eyes. Sure enough, the threads on the end of the empty shaft were not big enough to move the boat.

Needless to say we are relieved, if still stuck. Not sure if I should pay for the mechanic that just came and almost had us going down the wrong and expensive and time consuming path.

I have a call into them and into Brewers.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Well there's a $3,000 bullet-dodge! Great job Bene!

Obviously you need bigger threads on your shaft.

In the mean time, I'd recommend getting in your dinghy and slowly retracing your exact sailing route for the past few weeks. Just put on a dive mask and a snorkel and look down. I bet you'll find that prop in no time.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Bene,

Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear about the lack of propulsion, but glad to know it's "only" the missing prop.:)

Good job bringing her in under sail. It's all part of the adventure. And remember, there are much worse places to have a mechanical breakdown!!;)

No worries. You can square this one away pretty easily. Try to relax a bit and enjoy the Vineyard.:) :)

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark at Brewers just said the magic words "Have them overnight a new prop and I'll reimburse you."

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Mark at Brewers just said the magic words "Have them overnight a new prop and I'll reimburse you."
Oh yeah! That's what Im talking about!

Place the call, then go relax with the family.:)

·
Registered
996 Posts
$3000 for a tranny repair!

Blimey.. Brewers must have used a plastic spanner! Really there can be no excuse for the prop falling off, especially if the thing was supposed to be fitted correctly by the yard. Personally I would be after a new or replacement prop and they would be getting wet!

Anyway congrats on your fault finding, and not relying on the Expert to determine that the shaft is actually spinning. Can you imagine, tranny fixed, pop the thing into forward and not going anywhere. THEN discovering the prop was surveying the seabed !!

What you think your'e chances of getting the 3k back for the unneccesary repair.

Fair winds... Enjoy the trip!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
This is why it is always a good idea to do this kind of important work yourself. At a minimum always inspect the yard monkeys work very carefully or better yet, be there when they do it. It is a good thing you did not have them unstep and restep your mast. If the prop falls off it wont hurt anyone but if the mast fell for lack of a few cotter pins ...
Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Glad to hear it's an easy (if unexcusable) repair...

In addition to taking the dinghy from my boat and using it as a life raft on their ice breaker, subsequently loosing it... Brewers (in Stamford) launched and put on all my standing rigging in time for the 4th (I just bought the boat begining of June), they attached the boom with the reefing hook hanging down under the gooseneck, I didn't catch it until the next day when we were out for the 4th of july and I went to put a reef in the main. I had to drop the sail and disconnect the boom to swing the hook up and over the gooseneck and then reattach everything. It wasn't exactly smooth waters out in the middle of the sound that day, I wasn't happy.

Overall, I'm not impressed with Brewers...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nice diagnosis job Bene. You should be able to get the prop installed in no time. The diagnosis part by the mechanic is pretty horrible though. How long before you get started again. When will you be up in Greenport, we head that way pretty often?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
After going to school for two years of training to be a marine mechanic i lasted one season in 1974 before i got a real JOB that would employe me year round and be able to afford to own a boat :)

And that would be the issue on Long Island YOU cant afford to live on what a marina pays

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Good to hear it's an easy fix. I do take a wee bit of offense to the term yard monkeys though. Being a wrench for 33 years that doesn't put a smile on my face. Fortunately it was not to the standing rigging as posted. I don't know of anyone on this earth who hasn't made a mistake ever.

Bene carry on with a good time, and good move on inspecting it yourself!......i2f

1 - 20 of 22 Posts