SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I (or someone else) have changed gears (gone from neutral to reverse or forward) without reducing the RPMs all the way down to idle on my Yanmar 2GM20.

It goes into gear, however, the CLUNK that results makes me sick. It's only happened a couple of times and the RPMs are not very high. The throttle is in a inconvenient place, and it's a matter of not realizing it's not all the way back in idle position.

I'm wondering how much damage might actually occur. So far, everything is working fine.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
same engine happened a couple of times too when I was cruising...this 2gm suffered a 50 percent submerge once, countless green water splashes(wooden boat) a couple of wrapped docking lines on the shaft...badly balanced prop....clunks and jamming into gear at speed massive rpm runs to get out of dodge etc

salt water in the injectors once...the list goes on...

resilient is an understatement.

if nothing is wrong right now dont sweat it...if you do have issues engaging and or staying in gear your clutch cone and or other parts are worn on the tranny but not something that is out of this world to repair.

peace

·
Registered
830 Posts
If it goes "clunk" when you do *this; don't do*this* ! ;)
We seem to ask a lot from our equipment. Abuse, overrun, maint..or lack of. Best to do everything. you can to minimize. damage whenever possible
I am guilty of shifting on the fly, without dropping the RPMs once or twice, too :D. Not a regularprocedure, though.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
x2...you can also adjust the cables and all to get in gear later on than too soon...although just like a car clutch you will wear out sooner

however you dont risk a catastrophic gear jam or parts breaking etc...

just be nicer! jajajaja

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
same engine happened a couple of times too when I was cruising...this 2gm suffered a 50 percent submerge once, countless green water splashes(wooden boat) a couple of wrapped docking lines on the shaft...badly balanced prop....clunks and jamming into gear at speed massive rpm runs to get out of dodge etc
salt water in the injectors once...the list goes on...
resilient is an understatement.
if nothing is wrong right now dont sweat it...if you do have issues engaging and or staying in gear your clutch cone and or other parts are worn on the tranny but not something that is out of this world to repair.
peace
Good answer!
The motor blew a gasket years ago which sprayed itself with raw water for probably 2 outings before I noticed it (though... long enough to create a lot of surface rust). I was devastated, thinking it must have been inhaling the water, not to mention what the salt water was doing to the alternator! I asked the mechanic who replaced the gasket if it was worth saving. He laughed and said, "I've seen these motors run when they have absolutely no business running! This is no big deal."

I thought he might just be trying to make me feel better, however it's run like a top ever since. It didn't even need another alternator, which I was convinced was toast!.
Your story makes me feel like I've just broken my motor in!
Amazing!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The manual for my Hurth transmission states that you can go from forward to reverse at full rpm but in the case of emergency only.

I think the answer is that you should try to avoid it, but so far you haven't done any damage. Damage would show itself as slipping clutches or inability to select a gear.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
if it aint broke now dont fix anything...jajaja

that doesnt mean dont maintain it, it means you havent done enough damage to warrant tearing down and otherwise working engine

again these things are tough

btw I did have to replace the internal regulator on my alternator since I had the bad habit of running down my batteries since I only charged with the engine...

being a wooden boat bilge pumps would turn on every hour or so and when it rained a bit more...so when I was off the boat for a week or so...batteries went way down and repeated charging like that will blow the regulator in no time(well no time was 2 years on a 20 year old engine so not bad at all actually)

so dont do that

jajaja

btw I also had a potentially awesome explosion that could of been story

I was young and restless so when charging the batteries I did the big no no of leaving the boat charging for an hour or so while I did errands...only to come back once to the boat to find the whole engine compartment SOAKED in diesel from the main fuel hose(the braided steel one) that enters the filter on the engine...its not a high pressure hose but I called it a semi high pressure hose...cause it was a steady stream of diesel coming out!

I mean even a fart would of caught fire there was so much diesel impregnated in the wood

anywhoo

back to the resilience of the 2gm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.