SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking online at boats and one sees a deal of a lifetime and the only problem is that its on one coast and I'm on the other.... Anyone ever had the pleasure of buying a boat and moving it x/country? 34 footer.... not really into sail to panama and back on a boat that needs work..:( Just curious the cost. 5g 10g I work in the trucking industry and should have a grasp on these things but moving sailboats isnt my forte.:rolleyes:

Cheers

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yikes!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
If you are flexible on transport dates you can get deals. As you know in the trucking industry nobody likes to travel without a load, and the same applies to boat haulers. If the deal is right it is often worthwhile shipping a boat across the country. Rail is another option.

I had my boat trucked from Portland Oregon to Vancouver BC for $1200.

·
3,506 Posts
Try dudleyboats.com 50 years transporting boat....

·
Registered
845 Posts
$3-5 a mile sounds about right.

Rail is another option.
How does that work? Small boat in container?

OP, unless you find a boat that is really worth it or something special it's not worth it to ship. Plus add on all the costs at either end. That could be another $1-2K. When it comes to shippers; you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
Unless a collectible, I don't think it will ever make economic sense to transport a 34ft boat across the country.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
$3-5 a mile sounds about right.

How does that work? Small boat in container?

OP, unless you find a boat that is really worth it or something special it's not worth it to ship. Plus add on all the costs at either end. That could be another $1-2K. When it comes to shippers; you get what you pay for.
I'm not sure of the cost or limitations of rail, but someone in out club brought a Beneteau 36.7 across the country on a flat deck rail car.

There are significant costs associated with transporting yachts across land. It may not be worth while on older, cheaper boats, but if you are talking about a boat worth over $100k then $10k for shipping may be worthwhile, particularly if it is THE boat you want! Yacht brokers do it all the time.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i shipped our 40 a while back from San Diego to CT. The trip cost $10k. Also figure about $2k on either end to take the boat apart and put it back together.
We wanted this specific model and the price fit the budget.
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts