SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
So far 58% say she is NOT to young. I would qualify that by saying that if she is assisted by a boat nearby (her dad) then I think it should be ok. Possibly the support could be made by a series of assistances near ports too.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Any poll is as good as the number of INFORMED people who participate in it. How many of those voting who are actually well-informed, possessing knowledge about this girl and her parents, is questionable (as would the result of a poll).

·
Registered
539 Posts
For me, 13 seems pretty young to attempt a true solo circumnavigation (details like a support crew being nearby would certainly ease my personal concerns there).

But if the question is whether it's the government's place to step in and decide she's not allowed to try it, the answer is not just "NO", but "H*LL NO"!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Didn't Vote

I didn't vote because there was an an option to vote "None of My Business".
The decision is up to young Ms. Dekker and her parents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 38 and I'm too young to do it - I lack the knowledge and experience.

Young Ms. Dekker may HAVE the necessary knowledge and experience, although accumulating these types of skills and abilities by the age of 13 seems doubtful. The real answer is that only someone who knows this kid really well can answer that question.

I doubt she can, but I wouldn't stop her from trying.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I believe she is too young, and I might stop a similar stunt. 13 is too young to drive, enlist, marry, vote, drink, stay out all night, etc etc. Child protection laws exist to protect kids from reckless parents. I agree that the state should leave your family alone, until you endanger your children. As a Policeman I wouldn't let a child drive, or live in the woods. If the courts decide that this is too dangerous for a child, the cops or the Coast Guard will stop it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hmm, Is it really sailing solo if I mommy or daddy, (or someone hired by mommy and daddy)are right there "helping?" or providing "support?"

Is it really sailing solo if mommy or daddy plan the trip, pay for the trip, pick the boat and supply the boat?

True, she is handling the boat on her own, but I feel that hell, my golden retreiver could circumnavigate given enough "support."

Maybe I just have a problem with rich people who get "supported" thru life, I 'm probably the only person on sailnet who feels that tania aebi's so-called accomplishment was diminished by the fact that daddy was there with the checkbook at every port.

Perhaps my defiinition of solo is too narrow?

·
TEAM ZISSU
98 Posts
Just a quick thought I can't say yes or no however if you present a thirteen year old child and a middle aged adult with an unfamiliar technical task to learn, who will learn quicker? I think you all remember vcr clocks, don't you?

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
No

Its not logical to even encourage a young child to do that. Adults have died. If you think its OK, where do you draw the line? How about a 12 year old? 10? Its plain nuts...still I think its the parents responsibility to decide. But if a parent won't protect a child then its societies [the gov't] responsibility to step forward. :puke

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
True Solo sailing, sans instance communications, around the world puts a certain twist in a person's mind. You have to be strong willed and have a strong survival trait for such an adventure. But after all is said and done you are no longer the same social animal you were when you first started.
But if this 13 year old girl has a suport vessel near by could you really call it Solo sailing?? Now if she has a lot of port calls along the way it would be good for her social well being and the opportunity to visit other places... Then it would make it more of a single cruising than solo sailing non-stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts