SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the main sheet traveler on a Morgan 321. The current setup does not have the tackle to haul it in and let it out, you have to adjust it by moving a stop and then moving the traveler all by hand (not a very easy or safe in 20 knots with full main....or any main for that matter). Current traveler is 49 inches long. It is mid boom sheeting. I have browsed around and looked at what is out there but wanted to get what you guys use and are happy with. The 321 is mast head rigged and the main is what you would expect on a early 80's 32 foot cruiser, not too big not too small. Any thoughts or experiences would be great. Looking for a simple dependable and affordable solution.

Thanks as always,

Gary

·
19,489 Posts
This boat?

Traveler on the bridge deck as shown? Any good ball bearing track and car system should do you, but none will be 'cheap'.. I'd probably contact Garhauer first

Garhauer Marine Hardware -7153728

But Harken stuff is great too...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The right size in Harken is probably 27mm.

My one size smaller boat (175sqft main vs 216 on your boat) has Harken 22mm traveler with 3:1 purchase in the same location. It works great with one modification. The ends have been upgraded with pivoting cleats so that you can operate them from any position in the cockpit. This is the hardware used:
RF5 | Ronstan Sailboat Hardware US

Those are mounted to the sides of my cockpit.

·
599 Posts
This is a very timely post, as I am in a similar situation...

Also have a look at Lewmar. They have a nice 5:1 system which I am considering for my Pearson 323 (which is only a 3:1). Lines can be rigged to run back to the car and out though cam cleats, which works well with my cockpit layout.

Garhauer is always a solid bet, and I am told that they are now doing the travellers for Catalina. My only concern is that the blocks appear a bit large, but in fairness I have not spoken to them yet.

I like the Harken, but they look rather expensive compared to the other two.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
If you do get a kit (like from Lewmar or Garhaeur) just make sure that it has the configuration that you want. The Lewmar kit for instance is setup for non-swiveling cleats, which isn't ideal for a bridgehead traveler setup (but works well on cabin top installs). It looks like Garhauer is similar, but since you'd probably buy them factory direct you could have that changed.

Harken also gives you the advantage of windward sheeting cars.

There is a lot of good information here that will apply to most manufacturers:
Harken

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This boat?
That is the girl.

I will be calling Garhauer tomorrow to see what they have specifically that will work on the Morgan. Last time they were in Chicago for the strictly sails show I spoke the the old man a for a bit and I really enjoy that they have a good product for a good price and always check them first. Anyone have the Garhauer traveler setup on their boat that can tell me how they like or dislike it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts