SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Barquito
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Lewmar traveler I will be installing. It will be spanning the cockpit from bench to bench. The traveler track is a double I-beam construction about 1" high and 1" wide. I can't find data on maximum distance this older beam can span. Do you think it can go 30" or so unsupported? If not, what method should I use to support the beam.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Assuming it is 1"x1" that is pretty close to the Lewmar Beam Track 0 (24.7mm x 24mm). The current size 0 has a max span of 400mm (15.8 inches). Since I highly doubt that the track design has gotten weaker, no i don't think this will work.

I would also point out that the size 0 on an end boom sheet is pretty marginal for your boat. I would really recommend you go up a size, which would not only be better for the loads but also allow you to span this distance easily.

If you choose not to go up a size then you need to build a support brace strong enough to carry the loads. If you go this route then the easiest base is a 1.5"x1.5" heavy walled aluminium square extrusion as the bridge and then custom fit wood pads as the seat braces

·
Barquito
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a good deal on the traveler, so, I think I will try bracing it. So, the aluminum brace would go under the traveler track, then where do the wood pads go?

I made a very simple drawing how I imagine this: This is a cross section of the cockpit with the blue traveler going between seats, and the grey aluminum bar under.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bar, Most of the load on the traveler is up so something as simple as a rod going down to the cockpit floor ( with a backing plate of course) is all you need. The rod would be in tension when in use.

John

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The seats are highly unlikely to be in a plane parallel to the traveler. If they are, then no wooden blocks needed. But otherwise that's pretty much it.

I appreciate you got a good deal on the traveler, but it really is right at the cusp (when new) of what the current generation of gear could handle. I don't have the specs available for the older generation, but it is very possible if it isn't a modern style ball bearing race that it will deform the track itself from the sheet load.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
A photo of which Lewmar traveler you have would be helpful for the discussion.

Is it the type where the car runs on 4 or 6 cartridge ball bearings in an I-beam shaped track? Those don't work very well and jam easily under high load compared to the more modern designs with recirculating bearings (I think this is originally a Harken design, but new Lewmar travellers also work that way). This is an image of that type, taken from Ericson forums:

If it uses the newer Lewmar car you could spend a little bit more money and buy new track meant to span the gap, but using the rest of the hardware from your existing purchase.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
That is pretty much the smallest size they make

On the J24 it is just a hardwood block ? 2 x 2 more or less

There are so many pictures and guides on harkens sight for the hardwares ability you should be able to find something close that will cut way down on the guesswork

·
Barquito
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys. I was going on memory for the size of the track. It is actually about 1.5 inches wide. This is close to the Lewmar size 2. However, I am assuming that my old I-beam track has the same specifications as the new size 2. The new size 2 can span 31".

Here is the car (with the sheaves off)

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Ya, that is a much larger beast than you had indicated. It will be fine.

The downside is that it's a roller car instead of a ball bearing car. Nothing wrong with it functionally but they are not as smooth or as easy to adjust as a ball bearing track.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
In my experience with them (using them on 3 boats) they don't adjust well under heavy load. I think I'd consider that a functional problem...

I wouldn't rush out to replace one if that is what my boat had, but I'm not sure I'd install a new one unless it was really really cheap and I had no budget.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Alex,

I agree wi you, but this one is so up sized compared to the boat the loads relative to design specs should make it pretty reasonable so long as the track isn't already dented from its last home.

·
Barquito
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys.

I wouldn't rush out to replace one if that is what my boat had, but I'm not sure I'd install a new one unless it was really really cheap and I had no budget.
I think my boat budget is at the point where if I had to pay for a new one, I wouldn't get it. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
I'm sorry, but I have to ask. When I googled your Bristol 27, I noticed all the pics I found had the sheet aft of the cockpit. If this is indeed the case, why would you want to put this track in the cockpit, limiting space and making the cockpit a nightmare of lines and perhaps dangerous?
Wouldn't it be easier and better to put the traveler aft of the tiller?

·
Barquito
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would, indeed, be aft of the tiller. It will be just in front of the lazerette enough to get the hasp open.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts