SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Barquito
3,928 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Lewmar traveler I will be installing. It will be spanning the cockpit from bench to bench. The traveler track is a double I-beam construction about 1" high and 1" wide. I can't find data on maximum distance this older beam can span. Do you think it can go 30" or so unsupported? If not, what method should I use to support the beam.

· Barquito
3,928 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a good deal on the traveler, so, I think I will try bracing it. So, the aluminum brace would go under the traveler track, then where do the wood pads go?

I made a very simple drawing how I imagine this: This is a cross section of the cockpit with the blue traveler going between seats, and the grey aluminum bar under.

· Barquito
3,928 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys. I was going on memory for the size of the track. It is actually about 1.5 inches wide. This is close to the Lewmar size 2. However, I am assuming that my old I-beam track has the same specifications as the new size 2. The new size 2 can span 31".

Here is the car (with the sheaves off)

· Barquito
3,928 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I wouldn't rush out to replace one if that is what my boat had, but I'm not sure I'd install a new one unless it was really really cheap and I had no budget.
I think my boat budget is at the point where if I had to pay for a new one, I wouldn't get it. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.