SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a end boom set up with a traveler on the aft. I want to change over to a track traveler because I currently don't have a track and they seem to move much smoother. The problem I have is I don't know what size I need for a 21' sailboat. I and does someone know what pieces I need? Can you buy a complete kit or better to piece together?

·
Senior Citizen
454 Posts
Look at the picture and drawing of the Venture 21 on the sailboat data web site. VENTURE 21 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
You could purchase a complete kit for your boat or buy pieces.
If you mount a track across the cockpit on the seats you may need two angle brackets to hold the track down between the seats.
I installed a Harken windward car system on my 24 Mirage this year. It is great!
-CH

·
Custom Member
53 Posts
Usually, you'll need to piece them together.

You'll need:
1- A traveler car
2- a track (for the car to run on)
3- end stops or end controls for the track
4- if the track is running across the cockpit, a wood block for the track to attach to.

A 21' sailboat would take a 22mm track. The old school way is to use pin stops to control where the traveler sets on the track. For a little more control, a system with a 2:1 or 3:1 purchase would give you much better control over boom placement when your sails are under load.

Harken has a good "Selection Guide" (search "Harken Traveler System") to see the different setups. If you cruise only, a simple setup is all you need. If you're going to race, a 3:1 windward sheeting system would be a nice upgrade (pricey, but nice).

I recently went with a Harken 3:1 windward traveler on my Cal 25, and love it. (the traveler, not the new $700 hole in my pocket)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Garhauer has some kits... good products at good prices. I would not advise changing your end-boom sheeting to mid-boom with the traveler in the cockpit... that can put stress on the boom beyond what it was designed to withstand.

Do you make frequent traveler adjustments now? I ask because I have a similar t-track aft traveler setup on my 28 footer, and while it is decidedly low-tech, it works fine for me. I'm in my 60s and can easily muscle the traveler car wherever I need it (granted, I'm not out in anything much over 20 knots).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.