SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my husband and I were on our first cruising expedition through the Bahamas and Caribbean for a year we cut our travels short (a little).
Why?
Because we felt like we were not giving back.* We were living selfishly and not giving back to the community and humanity as a whole.**
That's why I was soooooooooooo excited to hear about Cruising with a Cause which connects cruisers to volunteer opportunities.* As you travel you can now easily find places that have a community in need and you can contribute by volunteering. Sometimes it's building a school, sometimes it's teaching reading, sometimes it's helping cook for a shelter... it could be anything that helps others.* You can even add opportunities. If you're traveling and you see that a community needs help rebuilding after a storm, you can add it as a* volunteer opportunity and other cruisers can find it as an opportunity.**
Donna Lange, the founder of this organization is going to be featured in a webinar on Tuesday night (4/21/20) at 7pm EST with Navionics and Waterway Guide to talk about Cruising with a Cause.*
I was so excited to hear about this since my husband and I plan to cruise with our young son and this is the perfect way for us to find local needs where we can volunteer along our route.**
If you're interested in this or know anyone that may be interested here is the link to sign up:*
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4673584530960399372

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts
It seems you are quite unaware that there is a world wide pandemic going on.
I seriously doubt that anybody is travelling right now, or that they will be for some time to come. As a matter of fact most islands in the eastern Caribbean have closed their borders completely.
I find it interesting that you quit your travelling because you couldn't find ways to contribute to those in need in the islands. You couldn't have looked very hard.

Almost every EC island nation has programs that cruisers are welcome to get involved in, to do everything from reading to children and the blind or helping the handicapped, or even cleaning the homes of the elderly. There are numerous children who need tutoring in subjects they are having difficulties with in school. There are also frequent calls for swimming teachers for those islanders who want to learn.
Perhaps, if you ever get back down this way, you can join some of the existing programs and contribute through them.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Well intended encouragement, I would think. However, like Capta says, a little tone deaf to the current cruising situation. It runs the risk of making people think it's a philanthropic scam, but that's not the OP's typical post.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I am going to travel to Shiva in a few hours with the purpose of recommissioning the engine and filling the water tanks... checking the bilges etc... Haven't been there for almost 6 weeks the longest I have abandoned my fiduciary duties. I'll bet she'll smoke a lot because she's pissed off! :ship-captain:

:cut_out_animated_em

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
We're back!
Engine fired right up... expected black smoke for a few seconds... Water tanks filled.

And YES there were two guys who took a small power boat off the dock and left the "marina".. and they had no PPE... as expected... so much for social distancing while boating.

Shiva is ready to move once she's cleaned a bit and provisioned.

Now we wait for Spring weather.

·
12,139 Posts
We're back!
Engine fired right up... expected black smoke for a few seconds... Water tanks filled.

And YES there were two guys who took a small power boat off the dock and left the "marina".. and they had no PPE... as expected... so much for social distancing while boating.

Shiva is ready to move once she's cleaned a bit and provisioned.

Now we wait for Spring weather.
That’s great Jeff,
You are to be commended for waiting it out and protecting those around you😀

Just finished watching some Pennsylvania protest against the Governors order. Hundreds, locking arms, singing , yelling ( spraying ) droplets on each other. This is exactly what gives the Governors pause. Some saying the numbers are fake, that the news media is making up the numbers to sell advertising space. What is wrong with people?

Stay safe

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
Come on folks. You know the rules. You know where politics belong. We're down a few mods as one is cruising and the other is out saving lives. Please don't make our jobs harder.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Macario advantage is run by two long tern cruisers on a cat. They are absolutely wonderful people. Unlike many charities they actually follow through to ensure the local population is emotionally invested and actively involved in their projects . That’s means unlike so many other projects their projects continue long term and actually make a difference. Very strongly suggest getting involved with them or at least giving them a few bucks. They are my first choice in charity activity in the Caribbean. Definitely +1.

The other thing is for some time now salty dawg sailing association runs various projects. You can join even though you aren’t cruising nor doing passages. It’s a good organization and generally well run.

If you’re down in the Caribbean actively cruising most places have a cruisers net on the vhf in the morning. Very often any local charity or good work project will be discussed. We’ve done a few one day things like picking up garbage or helping out at a charity run or a local church project after learning about it on a cruiser net.

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts
M

If you’re down in the Caribbean actively cruising most places have a cruisers net on the vhf in the morning. Very often any local charity or good work project will be discussed. We’ve done a few one day things like picking up garbage or helping out at a charity run or a local church project after learning about it on a cruiser net.
There you go. Great advice. And so simple, too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can detect a bit of frustration there. Some folks have the best intentions and do not intentionally try to get under the nerves of experienced sailors like yourself but there ya go. When I am out sailing I make certain that I support the local economies. It can be expensive but I have been told it is appreciated. Instead increasing your draft by loading with every supply on the planet, plan on buying some in the places you visit. Go out to dinner, visit marinas. Sit on the hook eating your snickerdoodles and you aren't helping others. I also buy a bunch of school supplies to distribute in our wake. It's good to want to help....you can always find a need, just roll up your sleeves and get to work.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
This is way off track from the op post...different subject
But...
That other boat in the anchorage is spending more money locally than you are.
At what point are you...not doing enough, in your way of thinking

·
Registered
999 Posts
When my husband and I were on our first cruising expedition through the Bahamas and Caribbean for a year we cut our travels short (a little).
Why?
Because we felt like we were not giving back.* We were living selfishly and not giving back to the community and humanity as a whole.**
That's why I was soooooooooooo excited to hear about Cruising with a Cause which connects cruisers to volunteer opportunities.* As you travel you can now easily find places that have a community in need and you can contribute by volunteering. Sometimes it's building a school, sometimes it's teaching reading, sometimes it's helping cook for a shelter... it could be anything that helps others.* You can even add opportunities. If you're traveling and you see that a community needs help rebuilding after a storm, you can add it as a* volunteer opportunity and other cruisers can find it as an opportunity.**
Donna Lange, the founder of this organization is going to be featured in a webinar on Tuesday night (4/21/20) at 7pm EST with Navionics and Waterway Guide to talk about Cruising with a Cause.*
I was so excited to hear about this since my husband and I plan to cruise with our young son and this is the perfect way for us to find local needs where we can volunteer along our route.**
If you're interested in this or know anyone that may be interested here is the link to sign up:*
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4673584530960399372
Thanks for sharing this info, SailNDive. It’s great to see something positive and hopeful like this to look forward to when the Coronavirus crisis does eventually pass and we can go out and go cruising again!

Reactions: SailNDive
1 - 15 of 15 Posts