SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave a deposit for it. I dunno much about boats, but I might get this one. Here is the add with some pics.
Its cedar planking over cedar ribs with the outside fiberglassed over. Aluminum mast stepped over the cabin. It doesnt have leak signs inside. Comes with 4 sails (main,2 jibs, Spi) which are supposed to be in good condition (Will see them tomorrow). Has compass, depth finder, barometer, solar panel and battery, 5hp 4 stroke that starts well and sounds good. The picture on the dry is 5 years old, so Im sure it needs a new layer underneath. The man, like he says, is selling it cause he has another boat and doesnt want to sail alone because of his back. He had it for 18 months and took it out only a few times, says it's fast. The paint is peeling off on deck, topside hull is still holding. It looks pretty solid.
I am going to dive under and take a look right now, scrub the stuff off (A bit fouled) and look at and feel the hull. He wants 4500$ firm, wouldnt negotiate on the price, as hes not in a hurry to sell. I like the boat. I guess I should get it surveyed, but thats a lot of money considering my budget. Ill probably phone some surveyors tomorrow to ask for prices, and find one that knows wood. Also, if anyone lives in Victoria and would like to take a look at it, I would be very thankful and could offer some compensation for their time. The cabin is different from the original, as it doesnt have all the watertight bulkheads(doesnt have any). A man who was there said the rigging should be more solid than original trekka's, althou it is slightly different. I did take a quick look under and it has a big bulb on its fin keel just like Trekka.
What do you guys think ?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
....What do you guys think ?
I think I would get a survey.

Put differently: If you can't afford the survey, can you really afford the boat?

I have no notion of the market value of these boats, but if any portion of the firm $4500 price is attributed to the supposed "historical" nature of the boat, I would subtract it from the price.;)

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I live in Victoria and would be glad to look at the Trekka replica with you. I can't email you but you can email me and we can arrange a time.
Brian

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Ditto what JRP said.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I backed out of the deal. I had a bad feeling about it. I might take a look at a cal 20 sometime soon. I would really like a wooden boat, but that one was glassed over. I found it takes the wood out of wooden. But maybe that's just me. A survey would have been good. But there must be situations where a survey isnt necessarily the best thing to do. What if it costs you half the price of the boat ? Might as well buy it, sail it a bit and if something comes up sell it for half the price you paid. Now doesnt that make sense? Ahah !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out what was the matter. She had a short boom. Then after hours of pondering, I went to look at pictures of the original Trekka ... She had a mizzen! The boat I looked at has similar lines, but was modified at the stern for reasons I do not understand (Space?). Now it's clearly outta my mind, cause what's a Giles design with a different sail plan, really ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think it's worth what he asks for.If he lowers his price, Ill consider. Like John said, subtract the historic value to the price. Times are rough anyways, and wealthy collectors are liquidating to pay the electricity bills so that their **** doesnt melt out of the fridge and stink up their odorless existence. If you ask me, it was about time the unavoidable be unavoided, ya know what I mean? So to stay in topic, my opinion is he ought to take the price down by a thousand ducks (Here in Canada, our dollars have ducks on em! and no free-mason all-seeing eye with a bunch of symbols relating to world domination, like those pieces of paper a private corporation print in the middle-territory of the North-American Union, a different version of the same thing, so you put em together and we get all-seeing ducks, Ahahah!). 3500$ sounds more reasonable. Or he should sail it to Zimbabwe and I could buy it there for 1000$ ... Illegally, and with a sexy girl included for one week, no one month! :) Let it be known that we have tasted sin fully. And now back my boat hunting.

"The range of choice open to the individual is not the decisive factor in determining the degree of human freedom, but what can be chosen and what is chosen by the individual"
-Herbert Marcuse

1 - 8 of 8 Posts