SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Dug out the spinnaker that came with the boat. I'm going to go for it and quit being scared of it. We see the others out there and the wife asks "why don't we have one of those"? After spreading it out all over the front yard and seeing the boat logo on it (a giant black bird), I can't wait to get it up.

What I have is a monster tri-radial that is in a sock. The line to raise the sock is a one piece loop. I have the pole, all rigging for that is established. Here are my questions: The tack and clew are color coded... just I 'm not sure about which side is which. Red on the right regardless of which side of the forestay you have the pole? Next is, there are no sheets/guys. I have a bag full of line(s) from the the PO. What are the diameters of the spinnaker lines? I'll know if I have them based on this answer. I have a green flecked and red flecked lines, but they're tiny things. I won't attempt to get this flying without these answers.

Thanks loads as always. Dave

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Is it a symmetrical or asymmetric spinnaker? For a symmetric it doesn't matter which side you start off with as the tack, when you jibe the other side will become the tack they switch when you attach the pole to the new side. For an asym I would probably lay it out if they aren't marked. Around here there is generally a blue ribon on the luff, and white on the foot and leech. But not necessarily.

Sheets for a 30' boat would probably average around 1/4". We carry two sets, a 1/8" set for light air, and a 1/4" set for heavier stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts