SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Current Cruiser
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older (~1986 if it's original) Lewmar 30 that I'm trying to overhaul. I have removed the winch and removed everything but the spindle. The spindle will not pull out of the base. After removing the plastic key, it pulls out about 1" then feels like it's jamming. When I look in from the bottom, there appears to be a sleeve in the center stem that it's jamming into. That sleeve will rotate if I rotate the spindle, but will not push out of the base (spindle just slides back in). This sleeve is not on the only exploded diagram I can find, http://www.oysterbayboatshop.com/pdf/lewmar/V2/L2_30.pdf

I cannot see any burrs or galling on the spindle, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an older (~1986 if it's original) Lewmar 30 that I'm trying to overhaul. I have removed the winch and removed everything but the spindle. The spindle will not pull out of the base. After removing the plastic key, it pulls out about 1" then feels like it's jamming. When I look in from the bottom, there appears to be a sleeve in the center stem that it's jamming into. That sleeve will rotate if I rotate the spindle, but will not push out of the base (spindle just slides back in). This sleeve is not on the only exploded diagram I can find, http://www.oysterbayboatshop.com/pdf/lewmar/V2/L2_30.pdf

I cannot see any burrs or galling on the spindle, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Chris
I ran into this problem today, not sure that I have a solution yet.

Apparently Lewmar made several generations of 30ST two speed self tailing winches that are similar but not identical. The model on our boat is the Wavegrip 30ST. It has the plastic sleeves you describe and a top cap held on by four phillips screws. The inner spindles on both of them don't appear to want to pull out of the top.

The newer generation, the Ocean 30ST has a top cap that simply twists off and tool-free assembly and disassembly. The newer generation doesn't have the plastic sleeves and apparently the innner spindle can pull out the top. Most of the "this is how you service your winches" videos for Lewmar products on Youtube seem to reference those winches with twist off top caps.

I've attached two diagrams, one that has the older model which I (and probably you) have and one that shows the newer model for comparison.

If anyone has any recommendations on how to lift the inner spindle out - or even if that is possible - on the older models with the plastic sleeves that would be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Our (former) pair of Lewmar 30ST winches had a similar problem. One of them needed a lot of force to remove that spindle. I attributed it to a very very slight warp of the ss spindle, after too many times hoisting someone up the mast. (?)
I surmised that in the particular model or just a particular run of machined spindles, there was a gnat's eyelash too little wall thickness.
Perhaps.
They worked perfect other than that problem. I replaced them both with 40ST winches at a WM 2-fer-1 spring sale (Feb - March, for 3 days) special. Watch the email alerts from WM for that sale -- worth taking advantage of, IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.