SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a club boat (Pearson 36) reserved for the last week in July. The boat is in Westport Harbor, Ma. I know I want to spend a couple of days in Martha's Vineyard, but not sure of the rest of the trip. I am going to start searching this site and elsewhere now, but any suggestions would really help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Slayer,

Do you want to stay south of the Cape? I'm heading for Martha's Vineyard this coming weekend, but after that I'm going to Provincetown and Boston before turning for home.

Here's my itinerary:

Friday: Old Saybrook - Block Is.
Saturday: Block - M.V.
Sunday, Monday: @ Edgartown
Tuesday: M.V. - Mattapoisett
Wednesday: Mattapoisett - P'town
Thursday: P'town to Boston
Friday, Saturday: @ Boston
Sunday: Boston - Buzzards Bay
Monday: B Bay - Saybrook

In Buzzards Bay, I especially like Quissett Harbor and all of the anchorages of the Elizabeth Islands from Hadley Harbor all the way down to Cuttyhunk. I haven't been to any of the harbors on the south side of the Cape east of Hyannis, so I'll be interested in what others might say about Yarmouth, Dennis, Chatham, etc.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done a lot of sailing in Mass Bay, from P-Town to Gloucester, so I want to keep South of the Cape. I have my charts, but can anyone recommend a good cruising Guide?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Depends what you want:

Quiet: Tarpaulin, Tashmoo, Hadleys (get there early), Menemsha

Tiny Town/Maine-ish raw bar service on your mooring: Cuttyhunk

Tie up and Shop: Falmouth---call the harbormaster NOW, not sure you'll get in.

Eat: Vineyard Haven-Black Dog for breakfast
Redbrook/Kingman Marina -Chart Room

Rich and Famous: Edgartown (we call it Ego town here).

Disney meets New England: Nantucket

Noise/crowds/party/raft up moorings/bars: Oak Bluffs

Time the tides in Vineyard and Nantucket Sounds..a couple of knots. Watch out for Woods Hole, it's a honey pot for the local marina's and salvage operators. Quicks is easier...and well, quick.

I'm not worried about you getting caught in any weather, rumor has it you seek out the bad stuff:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts