SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not sailed the Gulf of Mexico, but for one charter trip centering on Fort Meyers about 9 years ago. Considering moving my 33 Hunter from Fort Lauderdale to Galveston Bay, as it is not selling, and I'm relocating there. Anyone have knowledge/experience on route and time? South below the Keys or via the canal through Lake Okeechobee? Any information on the currents in the Gulf? Preferred course?

Most thankful for your input.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can cut through the cross Florida barge canal it'll cut days off your trip. I've done that whole route before. Offshore isn't bad until you get to the Mississippi delta as its a long time between ports m most if the trip you can duck in every night to a nice anchorage. Is your boat for sale online currently? I have a few friends looking for a boat ibn that size if it makes it around here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The rail bridge at Port Mayaca on the Okeechobee Waterway has a fixed vertical clearance of plus or minus 49 feet, so this might decide which route you take, depending on your mast height. Either way it sounds like a great trip!

·
Registered
146 Posts
That service puts a couple 55 gallon drums on one side of the deck which they then fill with water. They then can attach more drums of water to halyards to add more heel. When it's enough they tow you through. If you don't trust your boat to be heeled over to get through there then you probably shouldn't ever leave the dock. It's more a matter can you get to there and is the cost worth the time savings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off, the boat is listed on several sites, including this one. Hunter Cherubini 33, 1979. It's really nice condition and I've upgraded a lot of things on her, including a propane system for galley and BBQ.

sailboatlisting.com

is another site, and

popyachts.com

is another. However, popyachts is a brokerage site. I'd prefer you message me directly. Its also on

miami.craigslist.com

mystery dot |
alt |
at |
comcast |
net |

As for the bridge clearance, I've got 2 feet to spare if the level goes down much I have cause for concern, but should be OK.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I think the Pilot charts are the best advice:

Atlas of Pilot Charts for the Major Oceans of the World

If you can do the Canal, you'll avoid bucking the Gulf Stream all the way around the Keys. Either way, it's a long haul

Winter, northerlies might make your WNW trip slow and lumpy. Summer, southerlies will help you but lighter air in summer--also it's hurricane season, esp mid-Aug to mid-Sept.

I would think April and May would be nice, and October-November. lots of easterlies to bump you along and less tropical storm risk.

If you want to break up the long passage, you could come into the Miss. River delta at Baptiste Collette, resupply at Venice Marina, then Tiger Pass to take you out west. Lots of rigs/platforms and traffic, you might want to approach in daytime. West of the river, few ports and they are long way in, long way out, so just head for Galveston.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Looks like a well loved boat that is priced well...I'm just curious how much interest there has been in it.....It's a pretty low barrier to entry for a nice cruising sailboat..

·
Shanachie, Bristol 30
70 Posts
I took my Bristol 30 from Fort Lauderdale to St. Petersburg last May. It's a nice sail up to Stuart on the outside, but read up on the inlet there before using it. The sands shift, and it can be tricky. I followed a local boat in.

The Okeechobee Canal is easy enough, pleasant to do once. I singlehanded the locks without much problem. Kind of fun to motorsail on the edge of the Everglades. Takes about three days to motor across. Not much on the canal, so be well-supplied.

If you decide to take the Gulf Intracoastal, there are only limited opportunities to sail and lots of drawbridges. Sailing or motoring in the Gulf is faster and better. With good weather, you might be able to anchor out in the Gulf at times and avoid ducking in and out of inlets.

You have to figure 40 or 50 miles a day if you're anchoring at night. Of course, sailing straight through would get you 100 miles a day or more in the Gulf, if you can handle that.

Very doable, if you have the time. A fun trip, I'll bet. Try to do it before the summer thunderstorms and 90-degree heat set in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had on craigslist a few times, its on popyachts for about 6 months now and I've posted it on other sites as well. I put it on ebay last week for 11900 starting price with no reserve since I have a new job in Houston we were hoping to live aboard up there, if we could sell this one.
7 days up on ebay
91 watchers

I don't know how many questions I answered, often the same ones over and over, for information posted in the ad.

Not one bid.

aaagggggghhhhh....

·
Rod and Deb Merritt
3 Posts
I am buying a well equipped and well cared for 1997 Caliber 47 LRC and will be sailing her from Port Canaveral to Galveston Bay. Leaving on April 7th, and plan to stop over in Key West for 2 days and check weather and proceed across the Gulf. The moon is perfect, full half way across, and I plan to take a Southerly route to a waypoint offshore of Galveston to avoid the rigs.

Any and all advice is welcomed please! I think the winds can be favorable this time of year, hopefully no strong fronts or lows. Right now there are highs going across the continent and giving some good Easterlies. Where and how to avoid the Gulf Stream off Florid though? I know how to avoid it heading South to Key West, stay a few miles from shore, right?

Thanks for the pilot chart link! I am trying to figure it out now.

Thanks anyone/everyone. This is my first post here!

Is it appropriate to add my question to an existing thread, or better to start a new one? It seems this is the same question as mine, and I was just fishing for some more responses. Especially for my time frame. Is this good/bad?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All good info, thanks for the input guys/gals. In the end I didn't have time to make the trip, although I believe it would have been a good move. Docks being cheaper up here. Right now she's still in Fort Lauderdale and I'm in Texas.

Life - it's what happens while you're making other plans...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.