SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
They're great boats. I used to own hull # 218. I bought it as my first boat after a family friend was willing to sell it very cheap. It was also very rough. Over a couple of years (most of which it was also sailing), I recored and repainted it, replaced and renewed brightwork, painted the interior, overhauled the motor and many other small projects.

During Katrina, in 2005, an Islander 36 landed on starboard side of the boat. Otherwise, she would have made it through unscathed. Even with the Islander, she was the only boat on her pier to sail again. The Islander crushed the toerail and caused some other deck damage and snapped all of the stbd lines. However, it pinned the boat againt the port pilings and that, along with the one remaining port stern line (out of 10 lines set), kept the boat in the slip.

I repaired the deck damage, but never got to repainting the hull (the damage there was limited to the paint) as yard availability after storm was hard to get. I sold it and, shortly thereafter, bought my J/30 as I was ready to race my own boat after years of OPB.

I HIGHLY recommend (actually, I demand) that you register at the Plastic Classic Forum:

The Plastic Classic Forum :: Index

Storm damage to the hull (tough boats!)

cockpit:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.