SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Argie 15
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tropical Storm Bonnie is about to come ashore around Bluefield, Nicaragua. Most in Central America are probably already monitoring it, but by late Saturday it will have likely crossed over to the Pacific and is predicted to pick up steam as it churns its way up the coast towards Mexico -- maybe increasing to cat 1 hurricane strength.

Rectangle Slope Organism Line Font

I doubt many cruisers hang out in Bluefield, (which is a pretty cool place,) but by tomorrow folks in San Juan del Sur on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua should be feeling the brunt of Bonnie and I know we also have SailNet folk in El Salvador -- its comin' your way! ;-) Folks on the NW coast of Costa Rica (e.g. Tamarindo, Playas del Coco, Papagallo, etc.) still have time to high tail it south to avoid Bonnie. In northern Costa Rica, I'm right on the edge of the predicted storm path. We've already evacuated family that live in the lowlands up by the Nica border and for Costa Rica this storm is likely to be nothing more than flooding and landslides -- kind of normal for this time of year anyway.

Batten down the hatches and harvest the avocados! I hope everyone stays safe as this early storm passes wherever it pleases.

Red

·
Registered
850 Posts
It's that time of year. We just had 5 minutes of broken glass flying, artwork getting peeled off the walls and running around closing windows in the V.I. Just an unexpected squall. A nothingburger compared to the rain the folks north of Panama are looking at.

·
Registered
Argie 15
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tropical Storm Bonnie is now in the Pacific and heading WNW from Nicaragua. It is projected to strengthen into Hurricane Bonnie as it gets off the coast of Acapulco, maybe early Tuesday morning.

Water Product Slope Rectangle Organism

In NW Costa Rica we didn't get much wind and it was mostly just a solid 8 hours of rain for us. We bailed about 100 gallons from the koi pond to keep it from overflowing and I tied up a few rose bushes that were sagging. Nice pretty morning after with birds chirping, sunshine, and butterflies fluttering around. Our rainfall runoff is already down the volcano and causing the low-landers grief. Not much out of the ordinary for the rainy season around here. :)

Red

1 - 3 of 3 Posts