SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So, once you figured out what was about to happen with the hurricane, what was going through your mind? If possible, would you have left the boat? Or, would you stay?

Ralph
Oh, I would have been off the boat! I have friends on land and would have been at their place with a great view.
By the time we knew about it being a hurricane it was 6 pm but look at the 5 pm photo its too late to get off.

Mark

Reactions: zeehag

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Beowulf (a Bendy First 41). I'm sure you've seen her currently and unwillingly beached near the bridge on airport road - the tall mast over the road gives her away.
She is fine. I have only seen her from the water but it looks like theres very little damage and an easy tug tow off the beach or a more expensive crane from the road.

Reactions: zeehag

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
If you do choose to leave an inflatable in the water in advance of a big blow, seems to me the best practice is to remove the engine, deflate it somewhat, and fill it with water... Perhaps even 'dangle' a spare anchor - if you have one to spare - from the bow...
I've done that three or four times now (no anchor). It works well and seems to reduce hunting at anchor.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
We put her on the market about 12/2011 and sold her about 2/2013 with our mooring in French Saint Martin. She was a good boat with big sales, great speed and a lot of heel
Crazy! I came this close >< to making an offer.

She's a beauty.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I think maybe we need a "wow" button to suplement the "like".

Good to see you made it through OK Mark.
I can't imagine what it was like to be looking at the lee bridge with the wind going like that. :eek:

2.5 ton mooring or not, I think I would need a new pair of drawers after that was over. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
She is fine. I have only seen her from the water but it looks like theres very little damage and an easy tug tow off the beach or a more expensive crane from the road.
Good to hear.
Just heard from one of your neighbors that he and his wife also road out the storm in the lagoon thinking it was going to be much less severe. His name is Roger, tan ketch between your boat and the new bridge. He owns Maintec. Super guy and good to know should you need any work done in the future. He also said a guy drowned in his boat at the new marina. So sad.
I sure don't envy any of you riding out that storm there this time of year as the lagoon gets pretty crowded.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the report Mark! What did you do aboard during the acutal storm? I would have been in the feotal position sucking my thumb, or draining the last of the rum supplies.... or both!

Here's Mark during the height of the storm. :D

MedSailor

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
via storm 2k i watched the descriptions and was hoping all were out of there-- a friend said he was gonna stay on board, but then at last minuet went to hotel with his boat kitty---i didnt realize you were there, mark.
was impressive watching the descriptions and sat pix from storm 2k as there was rapid intensification of the storm immediately over st marten.... was described by a member of that furycame watching site as "hell." she described gusts of 200 km / hr, while nhc still had storm as a ts.
wow.
rapid intensification, where the storm grew in intensity from ts to cat 2 immediately over the heads of mark and the rest there within hours.
impressive.
sad, and yes, hell is a good word.
was used in la paz, also, by survivors there.

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
What did you do aboard during the acutal storm? I would have been in the foetal position sucking my thumb,>
I wasnt scared, but I wasn't like Lt Dan, either. :) I was a bit worried.

I was lucky and had internet nearly the whole time so I was able to update the weather onto the VHF cruisers net for those without internet. Its good to have something to do but nothing you must do.

And I watched it, what I could of it, out my door. I would like some big biat one day with a bridge deck enclosed so I could see all around.

Inside the lagoon if you drag you are gojng to hit something to leeward and be able to jump off... Unless its the causway. Outside in Marigot Bay they must have been mad. Newspaper here said they had 18 foot waves! Only 1 anchored boat survived and 12 beached. That would have been dangerous beaching in big waves on rocks.

I had my scuba mask to go on deck with and I have a full face grinders helmet too :) that stops the spray sting all over your face.

On the saloon table in case of emergency I had my snorkeling fins :) life jacket, safety harness, torch, handheld VHF. The intention was to swim for it if necessary.

I wasnt wearing wet weather gear. Too hot and uncomfortable, but I had a ligt jacket there in case I had to go out for a while. But I didnt use it. When I was outside it was only for a few minutes at a time.
Oh, and I was wearing shorts, my waist belted inflatable life jacket and running shoes. Bare feet are no good in an emergency. I wasn't wearing a harness, or tshirt.

Its kinda like if you've done all you can do, and have a plan for most eventualities, and it appears survivable, then theres nothing to be scared about.
(Apart from the normal nervousness). Then its just intensly interesting. :)

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Ok, this GE is just one section of the Lagoon between Explorer Island, upper left, the Airport runway, lower part, and Witches Tit (sorry girls!) top right and the Causeway Bridge lower right.

North is up.

The two ovals show you were every boat in those ovals was wiped out. You can see where they normally are... Now NONE. Every boat in every marina along the airport was sunk or badly damaged. Every boat. The boats on the Hard were OK.

Now look at my position and those slim red lines i drew before I hired the mooring. They show the only areas where the wind can be coming from that could badly effect me. Its only about 90 degrees. But the boats off Explorer Island, and in the gap between there and the Witches Tit have the full force of all winds all the time.

I am not saying I am better, or that anything more than luck played its providential hand, but if you are going to sit in a body of water for a whole Hurricane season where are you going to put your boat? And if you can't fit, can't afford a safe marina, etc, then you have to bugger off to another port or right out of the hurricane area.

So storm preparations are more than lashing your dinghy correctly. They start off BEFORE the hurricane season even happens. :)

Mark

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Yep. Beowulf was moored off of Explorer Island near the center of the red circle.
Its now on its side in that crescent shaped sand bottom of the photo. It looks a fairly easy haul off with a crane.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
"Explorer Island"? I always heard it called "Dog sh*t Island" because that's where people onboard take their pets to do their business :)

Good job on the hurricane planning. Did the wind ever clock around during the storm and come from a westerly or southwesterly quadrant?

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Good job on the hurricane planning. Did the wind ever clock around during the storm and come from a westerly or southwesterly quadrant?
Yes it clocked right around at full strength. Got a few waves in here but it was fine. Most of the boats that were going ashore had gone ashore, but was missed by one by a few meters.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Mark - I just heard from our friends on 'Mau', they have it stored at Bobby's by the airport, but it was on the hard and according to the yard didn't suffer any damage. After hearing your report I thought that their cat might have gone walkabout as well.

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yes, all the yards were good, I saw one boat down and a few blown chocks but nothing bad. A tourist cat in Bobbies or the next yard had its stern cut off when three motor boats hit the wall and the two outer boats squeezed the boat in the middle up in the air 15 feet! Crazy.

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Reactions: Bene505

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Mark, any particulars available on Yolo. We know a boat of that name out cruising that could have been there, but it is not a rare name these days.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts