SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rolex Middle sea race is a Med classic but on the end of October not always the Med is a nice place and not a very predicable too.

Many boat are experiencing trouble, the Coast Guard invited them to suspend the race and retire to the closest safe port, talking about prohibitive weather (at 13.00 PM) but many declined the invitation and it will be a very tough night to many. Half of the 120 boats have already arrived, over 25 retired, the rest is still out there, sailing a hard night and trying to make it to Malta.

More here:

Interesting Sailboats: 2014 MIDDLE OF THE SEA RACE, A NASTY EDITION

·
19,485 Posts
Sounds nasty! Thanks for the update, Paulo.. btw the blog looks awesome!!

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this still the end bit of Hurricane Gonzalo?
It seems so.

A new update with more videos and also great descriptions of the race, by the winner in compensated, a J122 and a new boat that make an incredible race, the Neo 400:
Interesting Sailboats: 20114 MIDDLE SEA RACE, A LOOK AT THE COMPARATIVE RESULTS AND OTHER STUFF

About the Neo 400, an incredible performance for a 40ft performance racer: They were faster then several VOR 60!!! They said that they did not know the speed that they were doing because at 22K speed the log went out of water and they had not a reading:D The description of their race is worth to be read.

The general seamanship seams to have been outstanding and the smaller boats are arriving now, occupying excellent places on compensated, like an older Jod 35 or a Azuree 33 (duo sailed made 4th in IRC).

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
..btw the blog looks awesome!!
Thanks! it is growing steadily. Some days ago it went way over 600 hits a day and has now regularly over 500. I am having fun with it and its truly a global blog viewed all over the world and that aspect is increasing: I receive hits from South Korea, Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Philippines, Russia, Arabia, Turkey, New Zealand, Taiwan besides what was usual on the old thread. An increase also on the European side, with many from Eastern Europe and Germany.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hi Smack! I think you will may find this interesting to to your thread about rudder failure and also that about big seamanship feats. The story is outstanding and show the huge difference between good sailors and some cruisers that abandon their boats when the sea is a bit too rough:

Interesting Sailboats: MIDDLE SEA RACE: AN INCREDIBLE STORY AND SOME GREAT VIDEOS
Awesome Paulo. Incredible sailing and incredible videos.

I just figured out who you are over at CF. So thanks for all the input here and there. It's definitely an interesting subject.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
122 starters
53 retired
1 dismasting
2 lost rudders
Wind from 0 to 50+knots

The videos reinforce that old cliche about sailing in the med, either not enough wind or too much.

Love the bits where they are surfing downwind with their storm trysails up.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
122 starters
53 retired
1 dismasting
2 lost rudders
Wind from 0 to 50+knots

The videos reinforce that old cliche about sailing in the med, either not enough wind or too much.

Love the bits where they are surfing downwind with their storm trysails up.
To be more complete you should say that there was no boats or lives lost and that almost all the boats made it to port by its own means.

Yes I agree about that regarding not enough wind or too much except that normally too much is not 50+K but 20+k...and that is too much just for some. There are places (the Aegean for example) where that one about not enough wind does not apply. Light wind there is 10K, average is probably over 15K and many times blowing 20/35K.

I love that, even if to be perfect that wind should not raise a really nasty seas. Going close upwind with 20k is a pain in the ass and not all boats can make it (with that kind of sea) close upwind with 30k and for the ones that can I assure you that is some muscle sailing: I love it (for some hours), my wife hates it LOL

Lat year I sailed there and for about 1000NM I wasted 60L of diesel, mostly for charging the batteries. A good place for the ones that like to sail.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally a video of that new A13 that was making a fantastic race (many hours at the average speed of 18K) before breaking the mast. Regarding that the mast broke inside the boat at the foot (you can see it on the video). It seems odd to me. Somebody want to comment on that?
Interesting Sailboats: THE A13 AND A J122 ON THE MIDDLE SEA RACE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts