SailNet Community banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you run it dry you would need to replace the impeller.

If you pull the pump, you should replace the impeller.

So... I say, run it for a bit longer than you currently are and see what it does.

Like I said, these things don't pump massive volumes of water. If you look at this vid of mine running on the test stand you'll see what I mean:

https://flic.kr/p/40367930185
Keep in mind that in your case, you also need to fill the water lift muffler before anything really starts coming out the back so I would suspect it to take a little time before much comes out the end.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Well, I pulled the pump off. I think I know why it wasn't working.

Got a new impeller coming tomorrow, gonna clean it up as much as I can. The other side of the plate is a little rusty but I think I can smooth it out and it'll be better than this side, theres a pretty rough bit in the center.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A few notes based upon having knocked apart 3 of these engines in the last 2 months...

On the starboard side of the water jacket which is the big piece the lifting ring is attached to, you will see one of these. Take it out and check/replace the Zinc! My motor had zincs in it and as such stayed fairly clean and uncorroded inside. The two YSBs that Stagg got had quite a bit of corrosion in there. Good news is there is a LOT of block down there so it wasn't anything that was going to add up to problems other than just filling the water jacket down by the cylinder full of debris which obviously is not as good at cooling things as water.

If your Zinc is depleted or missing, don't freak out, just replace it and plan to take the cover off and get everything cleaned out real good prior to doing any significant motoring. That's pretty much as simple as taking it off and flushing it out till water flows clean and clear from the drain spigot on the bottom of the head.

Have a good critical look at your engine mounts. Several of mine had detached at the bottom and looked good but were not. Changing mounts with the motor in actually would not be too hard.

Both of Staggs alternators looked kind of scrabbidy. Both checked out fine electrically but had pretty stiff and squeeky bearings that needed to be replaced. You might pull your alternator belt loose and give it a spin to make sure that they have not gone evil in their old age. I will try to put up a photo tutorial post in the next few days on how to replace bearings in these, it's pretty easy.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts