SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm trying to streamline everything in my PSC 34 galley.
Considering the following:
1. routing saltwater to one of the foot operated pumps that feed the small spicket over the sink to save on fresh water.

2. Swapping out the faucet for one of those units that has the pull out sprayer type heads

3. Also purchased a teapot, a bowl, a calendar made of collapsable silicon. Great space saver. Waiting for my Magna nestable (ceramic coated) cookware as well. This silicone cookware is awesome! Not sure how long it will last but don't expect it to rust any. Also have a silicone bake dish.

4. Giving up my old fashioned stainless percolator for a french press for coffee. French press much quicker and easier to clean I feel.

5. Cabinet just aft of ice box should hold just about everything

6. Bought a ceramic cutting knife at local drug store. Being ceramic it won't rust and will hold its edge over most blade materials. $17.00

7. picked up 3 Contigo Autoseal Stainless travel mugs. U push a button to drink. when u let go of the button the mug seals back up. Great for red wine if u all know what I mean. Keeps everything hot or cold for hours also.

I'm sure some of you have tried this. Just curious if the results were all you had hoped they would be.

Keith Campbell

PS to all. My previous screename on this forum was mondofromredondo.
However I turned off my previous email address prior to switching this forum's email address over to my new one. I've had no luck contacting the forum administrator for assistance. No replies

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Cabo,
This needs to be sorted as you cannot have two user names. I'm not sure what the problem is but my guess is that having changed your email address you now cannot remember your old password. Is that correct ?

I'm sending you a message. Let me know here if you don't receive it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, I like most of your ideas. I changed the foot pump in the galley to seawater (took from head intake) and it saved a ton of freshwater doing dishes etc. On my current trip we went for 9 days with 4 people from Bermuda to St. Maarten and used less than 35 gallons of fresh water.

FYI: If you need more space in the galley, take a look behind the pull down dish holder (comes out easily). There must be at least twice the space behind that nifty device.

Good luck with it all.

From Antigua,

Bob Steneck
PSC 34 Christmas Cove Maine

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Where's the presto pressure cooker got to have one of them saves water and stove fuel get a good one with multiple pressure rockers 5, 10, and 15 psi need fifteen to can meats and seafood

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good suggestions.
I happen to already have the dish storage rack above the ice box removed. It is as you say a massive storage area.

I continue to have the pressure cooker. However I can't think of anyway to compress it into a smaller size so it will simply have to remain the same size as it is now.

Keith

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Good choices on that colander, which I bought a few months ago at Ace, and the Contigo Autoseal Stainless travel mug, which I picked up just today at Peet's. The grinds for the French Press are a PITA, but the alternatives for filtering coffee under way are not good either. I'm generally opposed to disposables, but have started to embrace paper plates and bowls to cut down on the amount of dishes in the sink. I splurged on induction cookware for the portable cooktop that someone gave me. It sits on top of a cutting block that fits over the stovetop. Though it's in no way a space saver, it heats up FAST when you're on shore power and saves on trips to fill up the LPG tanks.

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts
My plan (have not done it yet) is to T off my washdown pump to run pressure salt water to the galley. I pulled out the pressure system, so have manual fresh water. A sprayer would be great for this pressure water.

A collapsable silicon teapot? That is pretty cool.

For space saving on the coffee making front it is hard to beat a Melitta filter and cone. Can make it straight into the cup or a thermos.

I like storing pots, pans, and kitchen gadgets in the locker under the nav desk seat. You can cram lots in there, they will never become projectiles, and you can see everything since it is top opening. I keep all my pots, pans, kitchen gadgets, spare kitchen towels, colanders, mixing bowls, etc. in that one locker.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raindog,
I like your idea to tap off of the pressure saltwater for sink.
All in all when I think about it I have very little use for fresh water in the galley sink as I carry seperate drinking water for cooking. But can't do away with it all together. Pressurized salt water seems to be the hot ticket.

The Tea pot is a Cuissential silicone tea pot. I also purchased a silicone version of the coffee cone to place over a cup or thermos for making coffee.

The new Magma pots and pans just came out with the ceramic coating. Prior to this only teflon was available for this nestable system.

Currently all my pots and pans go in the locker below nav table as well.
However I hope to transition all of them to the locker directly behind ice box.

Locker under Nav Table will be shelved with appopriately sized rectangular tupperware for odds and ends.

·
19,489 Posts
For space saving on the coffee making front it is hard to beat a Melitta filter and cone. Can make it straight into the cup or a thermos.
This is what we do.. straight into a thermal mug or the thermos itself, we grind our own bulk beans, not 'purist', but works well, is quick. However I did get a brutal burn one day in a rolly anchorage in Barbuda when the freshly poured filter tipped over onto my hand. Spent the next two weeks swimming with my left hand in a baggie....:(

We store a stew pot and misc towels etc in the space under the stove. Handy and otherwise wasted space.

We have pressure water but also a freshwater foot pump.. using the foot pump when we can saves water and saves power. Another thing we did was find a plastic tub that fits into the sink.. it's smaller by about an inch all around, so saves water too, and no chance of the sink plug leaking and losing water that way. It's also a less rattle-y place to put dishes underway until we can wash them.. and it's always handy for other 'bucket' like tasks.

A Brita faucet filter means we only filter water we plan to drink.. not everything that runs through the system. Filters last longer.

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
Cabo, your thoughts all sound pretty good and I will incorporate some of them. I store a medium and a large Alclad fry pan under the oven. I tried the French coffee press but I missed the smell of coffee brewing in the morning, so I'm back to my percolator. Seems like the " serious cruisers" all have salt water faucets, but I still like fresh water and if I ever do a passage of extended duration I'll bring a few extra cans. Al:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
We've broken two glass french presses. We finally found a large stainless one from Starbucks. Four years and going strong. No filters, no mess.

Dave

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave,
That makes even more sense.
Last French Press went into the drink when I was trying to dump grinds. The glass container slipped out of the plastic handle framework.

Heading to Starbucks today !

Keith

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Raindog !!

Oddly enough I did some searching around shortly after I read Dave's idea on stainless Press. After a bit of research I bought the REI unit.

Keith

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I have noticed there is a lot of space behind the pull down dish cabinet, but you have to remove the hinges to pull it, so I'm not sure that is practical storage as-is. Lomg term items maybe. The height of the items you can place in there is limited or the thing wont shut, or open if items move around while closed. All in all, not super crazy about that cabinet but not a big deal.

+1 on the paper plates for short summer cruises with the entire family. 10" plates don't fit though.

We keep our pots and pans under the nav desk, what do ya'll keep in there?

FRying pan under the force 10 oven? Cool. Had not noticed that as a viable storage area, but I'm a minimalist and don't have a problem with space so much as organization. I've had the boat 3 years now and I've yet to really nail down my storage program.

I don't drink coffee much but have a french press for m'lady or other guest. It is plastic and made by the same company that makes fragile glass ones I have seen break over the years.

Silicon teapot? Where have I been?

Hanging on the fiddle behind the sink, I have a wooden 12" x 18" (roughly) dish rack/extra counter space hanging there. We put a towel on it and the dishes dry there. That's all I really have to add to this thread :)

Thanks for the good idears-

·
Registered
689 Posts
Irish Eyes does not have the normal pull down dish storage arrangement aft of the ice box lids. In its place are two sliding smoked acrylic doors (sort of like tiny patio doors). When we got the boat there were semicircular teak moldings which obviously restrained pots from sliding about. We could not find pots to fit, so we removed the moldings. We keep the (no longer available) Figor nesting cookware, two frying pans, two flame tamers, and I can't remember what else on the bottom of the cabinet. On a shelf that spans the cabinet rest the overnight sailing snack crackers and breakfast bars. Everything is wedged in place with potholders.

There is a switched light and a circulation fan in the refrigerator side of the ice box. A pair of thermostat controlled small fans move air over from the freezer side to keep the beer cold.

We have the optional cabinet on the bulkhead aft of the galley. Glasses and bowls go in there. In addition to the usual dome light over the stove, there is a dome light under that cabinet.

We have the optional cabinet over the sinks. It has two sliding acrylic doors matching the ones behind the ice box. Spices rest in a wood box on half of the bottom shelf. The rest of the cabinet is filled with canned goods, soup mixes, mustard, ketchup, and whatever else. We try to keep the cabinet completely full so that the things in it do not shift around. We just move cans up from the main non-perishable food storage area under the nav seat when things get a little loose. There is a third dome light, a Camfro fan, and a paper towel dispenser mounted under this cabinet. On the forward face of the cabinet are a couple of the usual teak dish and cup holders.

We have a Hillerange Princess stove. It has a stainless steel arc set into the aft side of the stove cutout with five holes drilled in it. We can lock the stove in any of the five holes to hold it level, or we can let it swing free. There is a separate sixth hole much farther back (to port) that the stove can be locked into to hold it out of the way when we get things out from under the stove. Right now those things are a copper tea kettle, a stainless steel tea pot, a pancake grill for the stove top, and a waffle iron for the stove top.

I cut out a piece of 1/4" acrylic to jam fit in our oval galley porthole. Mounted in a hole in the middle of the acrylic is a 6" 12v computer fan. It makes a nice exhaust fan when cooking. It gets stored in one of the starboard salon cabinets when not in use.

We have foot pumped cold sea and fresh water in the sinks. Salt water is on the washing side and fresh water on the rinse. The fresh water goes through a carbon filter to remove the chlorine and improve the taste of the foot pumped fresh water in both the galley and the head. There is also the usual hot and cold pressurized water when we have enough water to spare. There is one of the Home Depot pump dish washing soap dispensers on the washing sink with its storage jar in the cabinet to starboard of the sinks.

Our cabinet behind the stove does not have the usual shelf half way up. It is all just empty space. Boxed things -- crackers, cereal, Black Box wine... and bottles -- rum, gin, whiskey, vodka go there along with innumerable plastic storage containers, a collapsible mixing bowl, and the "food while underway" bowls.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
I created a small wooden V-Block (like a machinist uses) out of wood. I place this under the nav desk hatch to be used as a spacer between the hatch and the frame of the nav desk thus shimming up the aft side of the nav table hatch so that is is level like the rest of the cabinetry. This new level work surface then doubles as a secondary location for resting pots/pans ingredients during the cooking/cleaning operations. Works great and as we all know we are a bit limited on counter real estate.

Keith
S/V Charity Rose

1 - 20 of 34 Posts