SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
landofrainandgray
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm chartering for two weeks in Turkey with 3 friends. We'll pick up and drop off in Turgetreis and we won't be traveling to Greece, just the Aegean in Turkey. Does anyone have any suggestions for anchorages that they've enjoyed? Any helpful hints or warnings? We are more geared towards enjoying culture/food/nature as opposed to shopping and we're not in a rush to "see it all." Thanks in advance to all who reply:)

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Try Bodrum--
Quiet fishing village where they are doing a lot with raising old Pheonician(sp) vessels from the seabed and reconstructing them in one of the castles there--castle of the four armies I believe. Izmir is nice if you want a little night life now and again.

·
Administrator
7,568 Posts
Kusadasi is not far north and thats the closest port to Ephuses and the Temple of Artimus, one of the Seven Wonders of the World (the real ones!)
Its just a local bus ride from Kusadasi.

My pet peve is I hate being cheated and coerced into going to a particular restaurant and Turkey can be horrid for it. You slide into some pretty bay and some goose in a tender will tell you you cant anchor there except if you take a "free" mooring... But you have to go to their restaurant. So you dont get the chance to walk around and find the restaurant that is full of locals, cheap prices and truly excellent food.
Of course you can anchor where you wanted to...

So you need your cruiser smarts all the time.

Have fun and don't get ripped off. :)

Don't pay for a tour of Ephuses, you dont need one and they will not take you to the Temple of Artimus. Just take the local bus! And know where the temple is from Ephuses

Mark

Reactions: joyinPNW

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
It has been a while ("88) ssince we were there.

Which direction are you going.

One of my favourites to the north was Iasos.

WE waited out a a meltimi in Gumusluk.

Straight south is Knidos.

English Harbor was nice.

Sunsail has some suggestions on their site.

BTW - I would not call Bodrum a small fishing village.

·
landofrainandgray
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies--we're heading south/ southeast. We have included Bodrum in our plans and the restaurant/anchorage issue is one I'm concerned about. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Any other anchorages that you like? I have all the books and have done extensive reading and research but just thought I'd ask my fellow dependable sailnetters what they recommend. Thanks again for any ideas or thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts