SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,has anyone out their used the MEJESTIC UFO X tv antenna?I am on the hook alot at Block Island (RI).I have a directional antenna now that picks up a few stations if I keep moving it pointing it in the right direction.The one I have now has a gain of 25-30 db (before the 12 ft cable)and not amplified (doesn't mean much to me).The majestic is amplified in the antenna itself to 30 db (again dosn't mean anything to me) and is a 360 degee antenna.I don't want to buy one and mount it to find out it doesn't work in my target area.I know that the only way to find out may be to do that but I was wondering if their is any one out their that understand this amplified db thing?I'm don't want to pick up more channels I just don't want to keep triing to point the antenna in the right direction. Thanks,Brian:confused:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Don't know if its the same unit, but when I worked at West Marine about 10 years ago we had one called the UFO, and I think every one we sold got returned. Customers said they didn't work at all. (That was before digital tv so they may be different now).
I'm using a flat RCA Omni-directional indoor antenna that cost about $20. Its at the masthead about 45 feet up and I'm pulling stations from across Lake Michigan 80 miles away. I squirted it full of silicone to make it waterproof and painted it for UV protection. Its been up there about 5 years and still working great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow,thats great I'll keep that in mind.the UFO X is an upgraded model.Suposed to be much better then the original from what I have read from the ditributors???I can't find any other reviews.Thanks,Brian

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
While the DB ratings do in theory mean something, in reality not much. They are not normally listed in reality.

I have heard these are about as good as any:
HDTV Indoor / Outdoor Antenna - Monoprice.com

But have not tried it myself. But then again I have lived about 12 years without TV, but live in an area that you only get it if you pay for cable. Don't miss it at all.

·
Re-Member
228 Posts
While we haven't used it yet, we have just ordered that exact model to be placed on our mast as they build it for our new Catalina 445. The boat dealer, who I trust, says they use it all the time and it works great ... particularly when it is 65 feet up :)

But as I said, I have to personal experience with it... and given the ice conditions, I may not have any until mid-July :-( Sailing in the Green Bay/Door County area this year and the ice is still three feet thick.

·
2,449 Posts
I mounted a Shakespeare 2030 on top of our mast last season and was impressed with how many stations we get. The amplifier makes a huge difference.

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
I've been very pleased with the Shakespeare 2025 antenna mounted on our arch. Good reception of digital signals from MD to FL (except the Keys).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts