SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good recommended boat TV antennas (other than a $10k satellite one)? What antenna do you have and does it work?

Any good recommended boat TV antennas (other than a $10k satellite one)? What antenna do you have and does it work?
Don, unlike Mark (ah-hem) we sometimes watch TV or DVDs in the evening. I installed a Shakespeare SeaWatch 2030-G w/amplifier on their 4366 Mounting Bracket.

The antenna only comes with 30' of coax cable. I picked up 100' of bulk cable and the tool for making up the connections. A good quality crimp tool is a must, the twist-on connectors won't hold up. I installed the antenna at the top of our mast (approx 45' air height). The amplifier is small and I tucked it up behind the TV (mounted on a wall bracket).

Up and down Barnegat Bay I can usually pull in 40+ stations depending on location and weather.

Jim

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should visit more marinas Don. Some of them have cable TV.:D:D
Sounds expensive to just have cable.

I think having a good TV antenna would be a good item for the $500/mo thread. More less expensive in the long run to watch football and drink beer on your own boat than going to a bar. ;)

Registered
Keep in mind that if you have Internet access, which is often the case, you can watch TV on your PC. I had no TV in the Florida Keys, but lot of internet access, which allowed me to watch football games from home, listen to talk radio from home, and watch movies every evening on Crackle.com.

Gary :cool:

Captain John
I have this at home .. Winegard MetroStar 360HD - HDTV antenna - Outdoor and it works Great i am sure you can set this up on your boat! If mine was bigger i would try it myself! Crystal Clear HD, FREE TV and i do stream with PC also

islander bahama 24
What do you need TV for like others have said internet and Netflix barring that a DVD player does the job I suppose I just have my tablet and a radio listen to it more than watching TV anyway I also have a good library built up

Registered
I admit to liking TV for just a few occasions. Love watching football aboard, but limited opportunities. I like watching the Sunday morning news shows. They sort of catch up the week, so I don't have to drown in 24/7 redundant news, while cruising. Finally, it's not a bad thing when stuck below at anchor, with no wifi. I certainly can't steam video on my 3G contract.

In the end, however, my antenna was torn off about a year ago and I haven't finished replacing it yet. I've been up the mast twice, only to need something else. I actually get a few channels just from the wire that still goes up there.

P.s. I bought a Shakespeare.

islander bahama 24

Catalina 400 MKII
I have one of the old Shakespeare antennae. It looks like an aluminum hoop about 2' in diameter. It is an aluminum hoop about 2' in diameter! I run it up with the topping lift when I want to watch TV. It works fine.

Registered
If you do buy a tv antenna, make sure you don't spend extra for a "digital" or "HD" antenna. Nothing special is required to get a digital broadcast. Any cheapy will do as long as it meets your other needs (durability, etc.)

Banned
I have a Glomar. Works great. Has a powered amp as well as directional setting. We get over 45 stations most places

Things to keep in mind:
You can't beat height. The higher you mount the antenna on your mast the more stations and better reception. I tried one of the flat Best Buy antennas that you mount behind the TV and only pulled in 1 channel. I typically get 35 to 40+ with the mast top antenna.

You need an antenna with an amplifier.

Get good quality shielded coax and invest in a crimping tool to make good quality connections.

If you get a Shakespeare don't use the crimp connections shipped with the antenna. They're for the cheap, thinner gauge coax they include with the unit. Good quality shielded coax is a heavier gauge and requires a larger crimp connector.

If you're going to all the trouble to pull the antenna cable tie some light gauge line to it and leave a "pull line" in the mast for future upgrades.

Catalina owners get lucky here. Catalina leaves a pull line in the mast from the factory (at least on the newer boats). This makes running the cable a LOT easier. I'm not sure if other brands do this.​

1 - 20 of 43 Posts