SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was recently reading a 2000 copy of Cruising Helmsman about a steel extended Adams 45' traditional [Topaz] with an interesting rigging layout.

'Permanent inner forestay and running backstays are used to support the staysail. The mainsail is fully battened with 3 reef points. When it comes to deciding to use the 3rd. reef I would in most cases drop the main and hoist the orange trysail. The trysail has a separate track on the mast for easy hoisting because I couldn't imagine trying to remove the the mainsail from the track in 50kts. A 140-per-cent furling genoa and a furling staysail are permanent fixtures on the foredeck. This double Profurl headsail makes for easy sailing. In less than 18kts. only the genoa is out. As the wind increases 20 per-cent of the sail is furled in. At around 25kts. the genoas is furled completely and the staysail is unwound. This arrangement allows good sail shape to be maintained without having to venture up forward for sail changes.

Topaz is an above waterline extended version of an Adams 45' out to 51' by incorporating a a clipper bow and an extended aft section with a full skeg rudder and shoal 3/4 keel. She has sailed in the Sydney-Hobart to windward in 35 knots and downwind with speeds reaching 14 knots under full main and spinnaker. More than 140 Adams 45's are sailing world wide'.

Sounds like a great rig design. I'm just wondering if duel sail tracks could be incorporated into an existing mast or would a new mast be required? What would be the average cost of a new mast if needed?

Thanks.

·
Splashed
572 Posts
You can often add an additional track for the trysail on an existing mast. As a matter of fact some people have the trysail permanently mounted on the track, when sailing, so that it can be hoisted almost instantaneously. Adding a track to an aluminium mast is "just" a matter of finding the correct dimensions and mounting it with monel rivets. On a wooden mast it would probably be mounted with screws. The track must be mounted parallel to the exisiting. YMMV depending on mast size, form and so on.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Yes this is quite common. Especially those who have systems like Harken Batcars and can't put a trisail on the existing track.
Another track will then be run up alongside the Batcar track just high enough to accommodate the trisail.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
That description sounds practical and sound. I will be installing a separate trysail track. While it is possible to install a "gate" to slip in trysail slugs up the existing track, I would much prefer to have a trysail on deck already in its own track, awaiting only a halyard (I have two main halyards for this purpose already) to be hoisted after I completely douse and tie the main.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe this rig (separate trysail track) is required on long ocean races. I plan to put one on this summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts