SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Welcome to sailnet!

Any chance one of them exits the mast above, or forward of the headstay? If so, this is a spinnaker halyard and should not be used for a jib/genoa. If they both exit right next to each other and you are sure they both exit below/behind where the headstay attaches to the mast then they are both jib/genoa halyards.

2 jib halyards can be useful for boats that want to fly twin headsails downwind. It's also useful for racing as you raise one sail before lowering the next, and finally, it's cheap insurance against loosing one up the mast.

If one is above the other, as you say, then likely one is your spinnaker halyard. This is meant to go to a sail that is flown outside the headstay, and if used for a jib halyard will wrap and get tangled on the headstay.

When you are able to post pictures, one of the masthead would be helpful.

MedSailor

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I agree with CCriders, but if it's in your budget, I would recommend replacing both halyards (or perhaps just one that you'll use all the time) with all rope instead of wire to rope. Seems like what you've got is more hassle than it's worth.

BTW where they exit on the mast, one above the other, is just to allow fair leads to the winch. It's also poor form to have 2 holes in the side of your mast side by side. I'll give you one guess as to why. :)

MedSailor

1 - 2 of 2 Posts