SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. First post but have been lurking for quite some time. The amount of information here is invaluable! Thank you to everyone who contributes! On to my question.

I've recently purchased a 1976 C&C 24 Niagra. The boat is in wonderful shape and I'm extremely happy with her! We just took her out last week for a shake down and I found I had more questions than answers. With the help of Google and Youtube I've found most of my answers but this one.

My previous boat was a trailered Helsen 22. It wasn't in the best of shape but it was a great boat to learn to sail with. It was very simple with basic rigging. The C&C though is rigged to race. While I don't plan to race her (mostly coastal daysailing with the occasional overnight) she has a lot more options in the rigging than the Helsen did. The one that's stumping me are the headsail halyards. This boat has two of them. Both are a wire / rope combo. Both are run through the mast. One exits the mast lower than the other.

On our shakedown run we put up a 120 Genoa and I randomly picked one of the halyards. While raising it the the rope ended and the wire portion came out of the mast. It jammed at this point. I managed to work it out though and the sail came up fine from that point on. Then, while lowering it on our way back in it jammed again. It took us nearly 30 minutes to free it and get the sail back on the deck but we managed to just before I got too frustrated and decided to cut it. It jammed as the rope was re-entering the mast.

I'm pretty sure it was user error and something I should have familiarized myself with at the slip before leaving. That got me to wondering if the two different halyards served different purposes. I thought that maybe having two was so there was a back up. Now I think I'm wrong. :)

Before we go out again I wanted to see if anyone here could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great reply! I will get pictures my next trip to the marina. Probably in a couple of days.

I can say for sure both exit side by side at the top of the mast right at the top of the forestay. The only real difference is where the rope exits the mast at the bottom (sorry I didn't clarify that in the first post). They both exit on the starboard side of the mast. One is a bit higher and slightly forward of the other one (where the rope exits to haul up). I imagine the different placements are to differentiate which one raises which one.

I'm wondering if they are for different sail sizes. Maybe that's why the one we used jammed. Should the rope end and the wire come out of the mast before the sail is fully raised? It was only about 3/4 up before we ran out of rope and the wire started?

Sorry for being so ignorant. I know pictures will help them and I'll add them ASAP.

Thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts