SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, y'all, I'm new to the forum, and nearly new to boating. My wife and I are doing the thing many dream about, selling our house and 99 and 44/100% of the crud in it and planning to buy a boat to live aboard.

She's got salt in her blood but no experience...her Dad was a frogman and career Navy, her granddad was a charter boat captain.

Me, I'm ex-Navy but have no sailing skills to speak of, just electronics and engines.

We're looking to buy a 35-38 foot motorsailer on the Tennesee River or Gulf coast.

I'm not asking any dumb questions yet, just introducing ourselves; I'll save the dumb questions for when we begin to move on acquiring the boat. So hi, and we're looking forward to joining the liveaboard community someday soon.

Cheers!
Mike and Katie (Mike typing)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Mike and Katie,

Welcome aboard, You will find a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help. And there is fun to be had.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts

Hello.I live in FL.Just finished offshore s. and week ago bought T27mark 2.After retirement[in 4 years] I am thinking to buy Island Packet or cat[Manta].Sorry for my English and lack of computer knowledge.Could U tell me how can I get Tartan division on this forum?Thank You.Eugene Kalsow.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Hey Mike, Welcome aboard to you and your wife.

That is definitely the dream (and life) of many here.

One thing I recommend is that you and your wife start out by taking some sailing courses. Once you've got the basics you can easily apply them to which ever boat you end up buying.

Glad to hear you've got the income thing figured out :) I'm still looking for a way to pay the bills working online. If you don't mind me asking, what does your wife do?

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's a technical writer. Makes pretty good money at it.

I'm an electronics tech, but I'm also getting my degree in tech writing. We'll have an on-board, at-home business in a year or so.

As for classes, hella-yeah, we're going to take sailing courses, Coast Guard safety courses, whatever we can find. And we're on the lookout for useful books on the subject; already got "Sailing for Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Boating and Sailing." Got the Chapman's book on the way to us, too.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
She's a technical writer. Makes pretty good money at it.

I'm an electronics tech, but I'm also getting my degree in tech writing. We'll have an on-board, at-home business in a year or so.

As for classes, hella-yeah, we're going to take sailing courses, Coast Guard safety courses, whatever we can find. And we're on the lookout for useful books on the subject; already got "Sailing for Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Boating and Sailing." Got the Chapman's book on the way to us, too.
There are tons of references on here. If you haven't already, go check out the "Learning to Sail Articles" forum. Lots of good info in there.

Interesting about the tech writing. that's what my dad does although he usually ends up getting pulled into management which is tough to do from a boat I would think. As for me I'm a Sys Admin by trade. Technically I CAN do my job remotely but there aren't too many companies who allow their admins to tele commute. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
What exactly is a tech writer? I work on computers in a Civil Engineering Firm which I guess could be done remotely but im still fairly young (32) and not to that phase of my life where I would be ready to work from a boat. Plus we are a small firm and I work with my clients remotly but also directly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Think of it as the person who writes the stereo instructions and owners manuals. That's a pretty simplistic view but basically that's what it is.

And exactly so. In our case, it means everything from operator manuals for nuclear detection systems to user guides for software packages. It means taking the chaotic technical notes (read: bar napkins) of multiple designers and programmers and organizing them into a readable, understandable format for the semi-technical or non-technical end user.

In overly simple terms, tech writers translate Engineer into English. ;-)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We bought a boat.

A 1968 Soverel 33 sloop, in Charleston SC.

Here she is as we saw her:

She's solid fiberglass, just repainted deck-to-waterline, new rigging, fresh bottom paint being done this week. Engine has zero hours on a new rebuild.

Title is ours free and clear on February 9th, give or take a day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts