SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Unpaid Intern
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm installing a new aluminum fuel tank in our 1984 Sabre 34.

First, should I paint the tank? The old tank was painted, but I'm under the impression that this should not be necessary. There was no external corrosion on the old tank, although again, it was painted.

Second, the original tank has an anti-siphon valve in the diesel supply line out of the tank. Is this required by ABYC for diesels? It's working OK, but seems like one more thing that could go wrong.

Thanks for your help!
-J

Unpaid Intern
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks KMC. I think not painting the tank seems to be the general consensus and how I'll go too.

As for the anti-siphon, I've heard but cannot confirm that it's a requirement only for gasoline, and that many diesel systems do not use one. Also that the benefits are outweighed by the drawbacks (potential point of clogging, failure, makes the fuel pump work harder, etc). However, my experience in this is from reading and I could be completely wrong. And I see your point too.

Anyone have info on ABYC and/or Coast Guard requirements on this?

Unpaid Intern
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I agree with the comments about not painting and not installing the anti-siphon loop...
Hi CaptainForce. Thanks for the comments. One point of clarification is that we're referring to an in-line anti-siphon fitting as opposed to a loop. It looks something like this one below, though not identical. Same idea though.

Is your advice still the same?
Thanks again,
J

Unpaid Intern
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks pdqaltair. When you're referring to fittings, you're referring to the pickup and return lines, correct? They are SS, I believe. But the fittings that attach to those SS pieces might be something else. Is that the no-no? Or are we mainly talking about what comes in contact with the tank?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.