SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Freedom 39
Reaction score
Within a two week period both of my aluminum fuel tanks started leaking. The tanks both had corrosion in the bottom in an area I will call a "sump" for lack of better terms. The rest of the interior and exterior of the tanks is pristine. The tanks are about 30 years old. The tanks hang from tabs welded along the top and corroded from the inside out.

Freedom 39
Reaction score
In my case the aluminum sump was cut off and the inspection port on the top removed. The inside of the tank where the leak was looked like a termite/acid ate away an area approximately 3/8" in diameter from the inside. The outside of the tank looked like a tiny crack. The exterior surface was flush. It was pretty obvious even if my description isn't clear.

Freedom 39
Reaction score
After cleaning up the tank, I will call it tank #2, and seeing that many areas had very deep corrosion and pitting on the interior, I went ahead and ordered a replacement from the original manufacturer. Since tank #2 seemed to have more water and crud in it than fuel and still managed to last 30yrs, I figured a new one will last at least that long with some minor attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.