SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the TaShing Panda 40 and the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 are very different, but I am having a very hard time deciding between them for our first sailboat. The TaShing is an '82; the Jeanneau 20 years younger, a 2002. TaShing is $30,000 more -- not trivial! Both are in good shape, updated on the important things. I've been on Jeanneaus, but not Ta Shings, and both these boats are some distance from my home, not easy to see (though I'll arrange a trip.)
It's mostly for 2-4 person day sailing in SF Bay, and short - medium distance coastal cruising. Jeanneau is newer, less expensive, and seems suited to the task. TaShing is BEAUTIFUL, but heavy, lots of wood to maintain (and admire), and the berths seem very tight.
Help! Anyone familiar with TaShings?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You summed it up pretty well. The Jeanneau is going to be spacious and better for entertaining. It will sail better in light wind. There will be a lot less bright work to maintain.
The Baba is heavily constructed and finely built boat that is better suited for a couple with occasional guest. To keep the bright work maintained (while cursing in the tropics anyway) is a lot of work. Baba's are comfortable in weather when a lot of other boats feel that it's getting 'rough out.'
For short handed blue water cruising I would go with the Baba. For sailing with a crew of 4 or more I would go with the Jeanneau.
Mike
Tashiba 40 "Hartley'

·
Dirt Free
2,664 Posts
I have two fantasies, help me choose ... Jennifer Lopez or Barbara Bush ?
:)

Reactions: Faster

·
19,489 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Not sure TaShing has a good rhyme to hook folks with when they ask what kind of boat you have? Jeanneau's on the other hand, one can have a hell of a good time with em! Besides, generally speaking, they are quicker, its good to have a fast boat!

Oh, I am biased I must say, But so I did not say I did not warn you, there are some One-Eyed Jeanneau fans, I would be VERY careful of them! That is my story, and I am sticken to it!. Oh, and be VERY careful of the poster with Mr Winston in his avatar!

marty

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The Jeanneau is better suited for your stated intentions, should you decide you are going to Hawaii, take the Baba.
I'm thinking even Mr. Perry may agree with this.
FWIW TaShing shipyards in Taiwan used to build sailboats, many (most?) with encapsulated keels. Then they started building Nordhavn motor vessels.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
If the Baba has teak decks AND they are original they may/will need replacing soon. As they are screwed down IF the screws penetrated the cored deck then a soggy core is usual. $$$

The Baba usually came with water and fuel tanks that were a form of steel and again will be at the end of their life if original. Again $$$ and mucho disruption.

If the decks and tanks have been done then it starts to get to be less of a money pit. If that interior talks to you and you can put up with the Jeanneaus sailing rings around you in light airs then go with it.

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
There is certrainly no comparison in build quality and ruggedness. The Baba is the better built boat and will hold its value much better. If you will sail it on the Bay you will enjoy its power and speed in a breeze. I can assure you the performance will surprise you. But they don't back up very well and you will take my name in vain the first few times.

You are taking on a lot of maintainence with the Baba. Some have more teak than others but they all have plenty of teak.

Ta Shing means "Big Star" in Mandarin.
"Baba" is the Taiwanese knickname for Bob Berg. The guy who started the project. Baba means "father" in Mandarin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This has been extremely helpful, thanks all. Given realities of maintenance (I had an all wood boat back east), and somewhat tighter space, I think we'll very sadly back off the Baba. But I still want that high quality build and at least some solid woodwork instead of veneers. I'll move on to comparing that Jeanneau with the next contender -- a '89 Sabre Mark II.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
You mean no one has explained the meaning of BOAT! oh dear! even them lower built price point Jeanneaus take work! Trust me, I know!

Reality is, buy the boat that you like to look at, be in, be on etc. Just because you have the better built boat, you are buying used, so if the folks in front of you did not take care of it, it will be in worst shape than a lesser built boat, but WELL taken care of. I see examples of both at different boat yards I travel to and from, along at my marina.......

Marty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, there is the absolute aesthetic of the better built, better designed, high quality materials, not only sailing performance....one pf the draws of the TaShings, Valiants, Sabres, Tartans....finding aesthetic + performance at affordable price is another question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts