SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the TaShing Panda 40 and the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 are very different, but I am having a very hard time deciding between them for our first sailboat. The TaShing is an '82; the Jeanneau 20 years younger, a 2002. TaShing is $30,000 more -- not trivial! Both are in good shape, updated on the important things. I've been on Jeanneaus, but not Ta Shings, and both these boats are some distance from my home, not easy to see (though I'll arrange a trip.)
It's mostly for 2-4 person day sailing in SF Bay, and short - medium distance coastal cruising. Jeanneau is newer, less expensive, and seems suited to the task. TaShing is BEAUTIFUL, but heavy, lots of wood to maintain (and admire), and the berths seem very tight.
Help! Anyone familiar with TaShings?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This has been extremely helpful, thanks all. Given realities of maintenance (I had an all wood boat back east), and somewhat tighter space, I think we'll very sadly back off the Baba. But I still want that high quality build and at least some solid woodwork instead of veneers. I'll move on to comparing that Jeanneau with the next contender -- a '89 Sabre Mark II.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, there is the absolute aesthetic of the better built, better designed, high quality materials, not only sailing performance....one pf the draws of the TaShings, Valiants, Sabres, Tartans....finding aesthetic + performance at affordable price is another question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.