SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Bristol 29.9
395 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting very excited about our upcoming two-week cruise. Five weeks and two days to go, but who's counting?

This is our second year with the boat (third year sailing) and last year we went to Block Island and back. This year we're feeling a bit more ambitious, so I thought I would lay out our itinerary and ask for tips or helpful suggestions.

Mr. Cthoops works on Saturdays so we're heading out on a Sunday. The tentative plan at this point is:

Sunday: Groton to Block Island
Monday: Block
Tuesday: Block
Wednesday: Block to Dutch Harbor
Thursday: Dutch Harbor
Friday: Dutch Harbor to Wickford
Saturday: Wickford to Bristol
Sunday: Bristol
Monday: Bristol to Battleship Cove
Tuesday: Battleship Cove to Newport
Wednesday: Newport
Thursday: Newport
Friday: Newport to Block
Saturday: Block to Stonington
Sunday: Stonington to Groton

A few notes: We aren't wedded to any of these things, and can easily cut something out if the weather dictates a change or we just feel like hanging out a bit more. I was thinking of going from Newport straight to Stonington, but Mr. cthoops would prefer to go back via Block for more favorable prevailing winds and also not to have a sunrise-to-sunset marathon sail at the end of vacation. Newport to Stonington is approx. 33 nm and our much-loved sailboat isn't exactly speedy - even less so when she's towing a dink - so I see his point. Finally, we don't have an overnight anchor (it's on the list of off-season purchases) so we're sticking to moorings on this trip. Next year we'll be able to overnight at various anchorages.

Too ambitious? Too much? Any off-the-beaten path suggestions of things to do in Newport (which we've been to numerous times)? Restaurant suggestions or must-see for any of these places?

Any info from those who have done it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

· Registered
Bristol 29.9
395 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the restaurant suggestions.

As for the anchor, we are now rethinking our plans to hold off on buying an overnight anchor until the offseason. I have to admit, in researching the trip some of the descriptions of the anchorages had made me wonder if we might be missing out, and it would be good to have for the peace of mind.

Billsull, that is such a kind offer - yet another example of how I love the sailing community - but I think we may just bite the bullet and head over to Defender tomorrow morning instead.

· Registered
Bristol 29.9
395 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are missing out.
If you had an over night anchor you could anchor in the inner harbor at Pt Judith instead of sailing up wind all the way back to block. Not talking about the harbor of refuge at the entrance. Way up inside. Beautiful spot. Not well known because most chart books don't show it. The anchorage is in front of Johnathan Island. It's a bit of a motor up to the anchorage but it's very protected and quiet. We stop there instead of block on every trip to Cutty.
Jim
Jim,

It crossed my mind yesterday that with an overnight anchor we could stop at Pt. Judith instead of heading back to Block. Thanks for the tip on the inner harbor. It sounds much nicer than the harbor of refuge.

· Registered
Bristol 29.9
395 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These suggestions are all great - thank you everyone!

We stopped at Defender on the way to the boat yesterday to get a Danforth 12# hi-tensile anchor, chain, and line. We'd prefer a new gen but we don't have a way to keep it on the bow without adding a bow roller. Given our future plans for a bigger boat, a new gen didn't seem practical for our situation (right size for this boat = undersized for next boat and no desire to pony up for a new gen twice).

I'm looking forward to the new world that's going to open up for us now that we'll be able to anchor places overnight. But I'm also glad that we have a month to practice before we head out, given that we are anchoring novices.

· Registered
Bristol 29.9
395 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for sharing your anchoring technique, Minnewaska. We will be committing that to memory. I had read that Danforths don't do well when the wind shifts, but I didn't know how much of a wind shift was a problem so I appreciate your take on it. Do you have any anchor alarm apps that you particularly like?

You are correct, we did not buy all chain. I wanted to get 50 feet but Mr. cthoops (aka the human windlass) balked, so we settled on 20 feet of high test chain and 225 feet of 8 plait rode. We're thinking that should suffice for our present purposes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.