SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at repainting my boat, which will spend the majority of the time dry on a trailer while waiting for the weekend. I understand that most hull paints require continuous submersion to maintain integrity. What do others use on boats like this?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use an ablative paint (Interlux CSC) on mine. It works while submerged and stops when I take it out and put it on a trailer for winter, then starts working again at spring launch. I also put 4 coats of Interlux epoxy barrier coat on my hull before the antifouling for extra protection from blisters. I keep mine slipped for 4-6 months during season then keep it on the trailer in my driveway for winter.

·
Francophobe
168 Posts
Why bother?

I'm looking at repainting my boat, which will spend the majority of the time dry on a trailer while waiting for the weekend. I understand that most hull paints require continuous submersion to maintain integrity. What do others use on boats like this?
If you are a trailer sailor, why bother with any bottom paint? Common logic I have heard is that if you are spending the majority of your time on a trailer, you don't need anti-fouling paint. Even overnighting on the weekend. If you spend a couple of days in the water you may need to wash your hull (should be easy on the trailer) but most of the time you shouldn't even gather any moss. Painting and upkeep of the paint is alot of work...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agree with Frog - my boat is traliered and has been in the water (both fresh and salt) for up to a week. The only problem I've seen is that sometimes the hull gets waterline stains but they come right off with Davis' FSR.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Put a barrier coat and VC17 or Baltoplate. Or just epoxy. I wouldn't use ablative paint unless you plan to keep it in the water over a week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts