·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creating hydrogen from water is easy. All it requires is that you put in more energy than you will get out by burning the hydrogen. Entropy rules!
Plus, with hydrogen you need high-pressure pumps & storage vessels, and to store it really efficiently, cryogenic systems. Bit of a problem on anything smaller than an aircraft carrier.

This gizmo puts out hydrocarbon fuels -- diesel, kerosene, gasoline. I can picture a compact unit with a selector switch for fuel grade, hooked up to your in-house power system, pumping out a few gallons per hour as you sail along. Nice source of extra pocket change in those out-of-the-way anchorages far from a fuel depot, too.

"Five gallons of diesel? That'll be 4 lobsters and a grouper, please." :)

Reactions: Brent Swain

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Hydrogen is not exactly safe to work with. US Navy could save a lot of fuel if they stopped cruising all over the world for no good reason.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Hydrogen is not exactly safe to work with. US Navy could save a lot of fuel if they stopped cruising all over the world for no good reason.
The US Navy cruises around the world for shipping safety in high risk areas. You should thank them for the 70% of goods you buy getting to America and elsewhere safely. They aren't just pissing fuel away. Plus, a good bit of vessels are nuclear powered so they aren't burning fuel, just water.(for cooling and steam turbines)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Serious face palm time here.
What they are doing is using available energy from other sources such as a nuclear reactor aboard a carrier to produce jet fuel. A nuclear carrier rarely needs refueling but it is useless without jet fuel. If this works, it means they can use the readily available energy from the reactor to produce the jet fuel.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The US Navy cruises around the world for shipping safety in high risk areas. You should thank them for the 70% of goods you buy getting to America and elsewhere safely. They aren't just pissing fuel away.
Yes, an the war in Iraq was all about getting WMD out of the hands of an murderous tyrant. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yes, an the war in Iraq was all about getting WMD out of the hands of an murderous tyrant. :rolleyes:
Glad I had my seat beat fasten as this thread took a sharp turn.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Kriss, you're barking up the wrong tree. I spent four years in the Navy in the late 1950s to 1060, we traveled the world, saved a lot of lives when we dug hundreds of people from the rubble of Agidir Moroco when they had an earthquake in 1960, patrolled the streets of Famatusta Cyprus during the Cypriot revolt to protect American tourists, and visitors of all nationalities, and foreign businesses that were easy targets for the rioters. We kept this nation safe for everyone. I got shot at a couple times, had some buddies that were killed, and 35 guys from my ship never went home. We supplied clean, pure, fresh water using our evaporator systems, to places that had no drinking water. Our ships doctors took care of people in places where there was NO medical care whatsoever. The Navy is pissing your tax money down a rat hole - and NEVER has. If it were not for the U.S. Navy, Army, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, you would be speaking a different language right now. We were out there protecting your ass!

Sorry for the rant,

Gary :cool:

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
I'm not saying they don't get involved in wars, but would that be justified taxpayer money? And they did remove the tyrant at least.

All I'm saying is that they do a lot more good than you think they do. Research, humanitarian work, employ our serviceman, push technology (most probably are for military use, but it trickles down to consumers), etc. If you had said politicians are pissing taxpayers money, then I would agree with you..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I agree.. while some things the Military spends money on seem silly, overall the work it does far outweighs the negative aspects of it.

As much as some countries and even out own countrymen loathe our Military, not a single one would not cheer when our ships pull into port after they have experienced some sort of disaster.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Navy is *not* pissing your tax money down a rat hole - and NEVER has. If it were not for the U.S. Navy, Army, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, you would be speaking a different language right now. We were out there protecting your ass!

Sorry for the rant,

Gary :cool:
(Patched that for you.) Write on, shipmate, I'm with you!

(Oops, almost forgot: U.S. Air Force, too. Sorry guys, no offense meant,- sometimes our emotions outrun our internal proofreaders/editors.)

another Gary, (USN, '69 - '73)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree.. while some things the Military spends money on seem silly, overall the work it does far outweighs the negative aspects of it.

As much as some countries and even out own countrymen loathe our Military, not a single one would not cheer when our ships pull into port after they have experienced some sort of disaster.

You're damn right.

At home, people ***** about the Navy using fuel, meanwhile they expected the entire 6th fleet to be on station in New Orleans ten minutes after Katrina hit. There is no naval presence to speak of in the Gulf of Mexico, and getting there from Norfolk or even Mayport (Mayport, FL has no ship of any humanitarian value whatsoever) takes a long damned time even at Flank Speed of 30 knots.

Overseas, people want to view US warships on station as some kind of seafaring bully swaggering in other people's oceans... until said country is getting its ass kicked by its neighbor for the 20th time, or an earthquake hits, or a tsunami, or pirates, or.... then our ships can't get there fast enough to suit these people. And if it takes a long damned time to get to New Orleans from Norfolk then guess how long it takes to get from Norfolk or San Diego to Southeast Asia or the Eastern Med.

A Navy sitting at the dock is about as useful as an unloaded gun when the bad guys are killing your people, and as far away as one can imagine when time is of the essence. There simply is no way to be there when it counts unless you are already there when it happens.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back on-topic:

Serious face palm time here.
What they are doing is using available energy from other sources such as a nuclear reactor aboard a carrier to produce jet fuel. A nuclear carrier rarely needs refueling but it is useless without jet fuel. If this works, it means they can use the readily available energy from the reactor to produce the jet fuel.
It will also reduce the need for the *very* dangerous practice of underway refueling, one of the most nerve-wracking and hazardous jobs going, outside of flight ops and combat.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I served in Europe during Cold War and some of my family members are currently in active service. I know a thing or two about flushing money down the toilet by our military. If we reduced our current military spending by 75% we would still be spending 4 times more on 'defense' as Russia does. The last war which was actually justified by US constitution was the war with Japan after Pearl Harbor. All other wars were a total nonsense interventionism that accomplished very little. Are any of you going to also defend the wisdom of the Vietnam War and all the associated waste in every imaginable form, starting with the waste of countless lives on both sides?
As to the US Navy making sure the world seas are safe... read the latest piracy reports. Maybe 1/100 of 1% of it's budget goes towards fighting pirates. But I certainly respect what the Coast Guard does.
The way Navy spends money is very much relevant to the subject matter of this thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts