SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a multihull fan who thinks (almost) all multihulls are beautiful, there's always the odd duck. This one has been posted before, but, "Hey, look, kids! It's just now been price-reduced!"
Just in case you want to be the proud owner of this small monstrosity, have a look: 1995 Argonaut Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Will someone please post a pic of an uglier boat, if one exists (and I don't mean something that's been thoroughly trashed, but would otherwise be a boat with nice lines, etc...)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Here's a truly ugly example of a full-wingdeck trimaran, with lots of windage.

BTW, if anyone is interested, it is an older Piver design.

Compare that to this Cross designed trimaran:

or this Chris White designed trimaran—

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's an old Horstman trimaran design that makes a barge look elegant. That Piver reminds me of that famous Mexican hotel with the tiered rooms.

·
Hmmm
514 Posts
This is my contribution, don't know much about cats and maybe it's just me but I think this Kismet 34c does not look good. Looks more like a condo.

·
Hmmm
514 Posts
I didn't know Fisher made Cat's! Sure looks like a Fisher motorsailer, never seen one of these.

Jim, you need to set up an account with Photobucket or similar and upload your photos there. Then copy the IMG code from the photo and paste it in your post.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Here's the fisher power cat:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
SD a lot of cats are ugly in the water! I wouldnt put our cat in the water. That last photo - stop, please no more. At least the theft insurance will be cheap. Someone said, 'nobody has a stupid dog, an ugly wife or a bad boat' or was it a bad dog, ugly boat and stupid wife??

·
Registered
994 Posts
Being a multihull fan who thinks (almost) all multihulls are beautiful,
Okay - so we need to proceed with the knowledge that you are aesthetically challenged to begin with ... ;)
there's always the odd duck.
I take it you are referring to the lone trimaran found in each marina. Bloated, squat and disproportionate.
This one has been posted before, but, "Hey, look, kids! It's just now been price-reduced!"
Hmm - seems logical to me. Realistic. NO multihull is worth what a monohull is.
Just in case you want to be the proud owner of this small monstrosity, have a look: 1995 Argonaut Sail Boat For Sale - New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com
I can't see a huge difference between that and a Lagoon or a Gunboat :)
Will someone please post a pic of an uglier boat, if one exists (and I don't mean something that's been thoroughly trashed, but would otherwise be a boat with nice lines, etc...)
None found :)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Wow...I have no idea how some of those sail (but with the windage above the waterline and the typically low grip on the water, I can guess "leeway" might be an issue).

I've seen so many nice cats; why do they have to look like my kid's "Service Station" Lego kit got mashed into a couple of plastic canoes?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Hey Dog, did you see, someone new just signed up on AS with a Telstar.
No, I didn't. Do you know what their username was??? Chances are pretty good that they got there from my blog... :) I have a link about Alex, CKG, and RV Boy starting the site.

SD a lot of cats are ugly in the water! I wouldnt put our cat in the water. That last photo - stop, please no more. At least the theft insurance will be cheap. Someone said, 'nobody has a stupid dog, an ugly wife or a bad boat' or was it a bad dog, ugly boat and stupid wife??
I think the Fisher power catamaran disproves the ugly boat rule... that is pretty ugly.

Okay - so we need to proceed with the knowledge that you are aesthetically challenged to begin with ... ;)
Tell that to Dame Ellen.
I take it you are referring to the lone trimaran found in each marina. Bloated, squat and disproportionate.
Those would be the ugly ones that aren't worth sailing...the nice multihulls you'd have trouble seeing, since they'd leave your leadmine butt deep in their wake.
Hmm - seems logical to me. Realistic. NO multihull is worth what a monohull is.
Yeah, especially, if you believe in buying boats by the pound. :)
I can't see a huge difference between that and a Lagoon or a Gunboat :)
And you say he's aesthetically challenged... you're obviously completely blind. :)
None found :)
Just remember, beauty is skin deep, but ugly goes to the bone.

Wow...I have no idea how some of those sail (but with the windage above the waterline and the typically low grip on the water, I can guess "leeway" might be an issue).

I've seen so many nice cats; why do they have to look like my kid's "Service Station" Lego kit got mashed into a couple of plastic canoes?
There are bad designers who don't have any real conception of how a boat is supposed to work. Unfortunately, a good sense of aesthetics isn't a requirement for a boat designer, naval architect or shipwright.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and mono hulls have never made my heart beat faster but if a boat owner can look back at his/her boat smile and think"YES" then it is beautiful to them and that is all that is important.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I knew this was going to take turn.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts