SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 8 years ago, I redid my cabin sole (teak/holly) with Ultimate Sole. It was a great product and has held up very well but it's no longer available.

I'd like to top coat it before it wears rather than have to do a complete re-finish at some point. I know a number of you have used U.S. and I'm wondering if anyone has been successful applying anything over it. Perhaps a polyurethane?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Same here. Ultimate Sole is holding up well, but I'll need something in 1 or 2 years I'd guess.

I was wondering about basketball court finishes. they seem pretty tough and easy to apply. I dont know if there is a consideration in a marine environment.

A lot of folks have recommended a variety of Epifaines products.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
I would choose a basketball court finish over Epifanes poly. Ultimate Sole is really Gym Seal that was rebranded. Unfortunately, both were axed by the EPA due to excessive and toxic VOIC's. I would be interested in knowing if someone buys a suitable replacement.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UV shouldn't be an issue in the cabin. I was looking at some of the minwax products., I will look into gym seal and Fabulon. Thanks. My goal would be to top coat over the Ultimate Sole gloss, without having to strip. I have a hidden spot under the companion way stairs where I can do a test.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I sanded and recoated my sole a couple of years ago and used Epifanes varnish. Looked good initially but didn't last. Scratches easily. I guess the varnish is a bit "soft". Redid with Minwax polyurethane and much better. Any polyurethane for floors should be fine. I would not be concerned about issues over Ultimate Sole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.