SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen or had experience with this yet?

Welcome to Ultrasonic Antifouling

The premise behind it seems plausible and the cost would be about the same as for a haul out and bottom job for my boat.

Michael

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Mike—

I'm guessing that you'll be a guinea pig if you get that system. Let us know how it works. Me, I'm sticking with my copper-based antifouling.

·
560 Posts
24 amps a day

Never painting again sounds great. As I'm on a mooring, my first question is, "what will this cost me in power?"

From their brochure:

"Technical Specifications
Mains unit - Voltage 220 - 240v
Power consumption 20 - 40 watts depending on model
DC 12v - Power consumption 0.9 - 1.1 amps
DC 24v - Power consumption 0.8 - 0.9 amps
Weight - 1-1.5 kg approx depending on model"

·
Registered
991 Posts
Looks legit. I would go for it. I would look into the warranty, to see if you can get your money back if it is a hoax.

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AND it keeps cockroaches and unwanted alcoholics off your boat as well....
I can understand wanting to keep cockroaches off, but alcoholics....why would I want to keep all my friends away? :D Oh yeah, we are drunks, not alcoholics...we don't go to meetings.

SD,
I may just have to play Guinea Pig. I am hoping some of our European brethren may have first or secondhand knowledge. Seems to have been in limited use across the pond for a few years now. I've got one more season on my current bottom paint planned, then I might try it next fall. I'll keep everyone posted.

Michael

·
Registered
991 Posts
Never painting again sounds great. As I'm on a mooring, my first question is, "what will this cost me in power?"

From their brochure:

"Technical Specifications
Mains unit - Voltage 220 - 240v
Power consumption 20 - 40 watts depending on model
DC 12v - Power consumption 0.9 - 1.1 amps
DC 24v - Power consumption 0.8 - 0.9 amps
Weight - 1-1.5 kg approx depending on model"
P=VI
Current already has a time factor in it, as it measures the movement of charge past a point relative to time.

So I think you meant 288 watt-hours per day.
Or 24 amp-hours per day (on a 12v system).

Amps per day is a nonsense unit.

·
560 Posts
P=VI
Current already has a time factor in it, as it measures the movement of charge past a point relative to time.

So I think you meant 288 watt-hours per day.
Or 24 amp-hours per day (on a 12v system).

Amps per day is a nonsense unit.
You are correct, tager. Nonsense indeed. I should have titled that thread, "24ah per day."

Electricity can be confusing enough, no need to obfuscate readers anymore than necessary! :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Massage the little critters to death? No way!

I'm skeptical. What's it do...shake the little buggers off the hull. It appears to operate on a vibration principle similar to one of those fancy massage chairs you see in Sharper Image. When I get in one of those chairs, you can't get me out. :D

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'm skeptical. What's it do...shake the little buggers off the hull. It appears to operate on a vibration principle similar to one of those fancy massage chairs you see in Sharper Image. When I get in one of those chairs, you can't get me out. :D
That be a strike against it working, but are you a mollusk???

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Reckon I'd have to get two of them. Not happening soon, 48 ah a day is more than my solar panels puts out.

·
560 Posts
Reckon I'd have to get two of them. Not happening soon, 48 ah a day is more than my solar panels puts out.
Ahhh multihulls.... The costs never stop piling on do they? :D :D :D

Just think of how many panels Dawg would need for the 72ah/day draw. :laugher

·
Registered
476 Posts
Michael, it's a very very old subject. Don't waste your time/money. Would be more effective to stick a sign on your hull "kindly, could you adhere somewhere else ?". BUT, be carefull in case it's a catamaran ... you'll need a more specific sign :)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Yeah, which is why I went the old fashioned route and used a hard-epoxy paint. :)
Ahhh multihulls.... The costs never stop piling on do they? :D :D :D

Just think of how many panels Dawg would need for the 72ah/day draw. :laugher

·
I don't discuss my member
2,672 Posts
Sorry if that came off harsh!

Boat Bunkers – Never Clean Or Paint Your Boat Hull Again

Anyone try these?

By the same idea, couldn't you just tarp the hull below the waterline?
I have been asked to clean the hulls of boats that live in this kind of system, for an idea of how effective they are :laugher

I see them around from time to time but I suspect they don't catch on because they are a PITA to use and they don't perform as advertised. I'm sorry, but the claim that you, "Never have clean or paint your hull again", is just patently false.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
I forwarded Giu some info on this last year and he was going to check into it. Instead he went to France. I'm not sure what to make of that. (g)

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,117 Posts
I can see a major flaw

Quote" How Ultrasonic Antifouling works
The control box sends a variety of pulsed ultrasonic signals to the transducer, which in turn emits a series of low power, low frequency sound waves which are virtually inaudible to the human ear. They create a wall of moving water molecules over the whole of the submerged hull. The micro - environment which exists as a result, destroys algae and barnacles so they don't attach themselves to your hull. 'The science' is in the differing frequencies and the harmonics set up within.

It's as simple as that and it works!

If this is true and it create a wall of moving water molecules over the whole of the submerged hull. My question is why when sailing long distances do I get groath on the sbmerged part of the hull that is not antifouled, but has a constant movement of water. just my thoughts.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
As I recall, it's primarily designed to inhibit growth while alongside. I would suppose that, if the growth doesn't start out, microscopically, alongside it wouldn't while underway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts