SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
S/V "MACKINAC"
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be shipping my new boat purchase home to Maine.
Just a question... Should I ask the marina that will un-step the mast to;
1. not loosen the fore stay
2. Loosen all other shrouds and stays (say) four full turns.
3. Tape all turnbuckles at this stage so they will not rotate.(assuming that the standing rigging is slack enough to remove all the Clevis pins)
4. Remove Clevis pins and lower mast.
Pack mast etc. Etc.

May assumption is if I do this, when I get the boat home I just do the reverse and the mast is as tuned as when I sea trailed the boat.

Make sense or is that his they do it anyway

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I may be shipping my new boat purchase home to Maine.
Just a question... Should I ask the marina that will un-step the mast to;
1. not loosen the fore stay
2. Loosen all other shrouds and stays (say) four full turns.
3. Tape all turnbuckles at this stage so they will not rotate.(assuming that the standing rigging is slack enough to remove all the Clevis pins)
4. Remove Clevis pins and lower mast.
Pack mast etc. Etc.

May assumption is if I do this, when I get the boat home I just do the reverse and the mast is as tuned as when I sea trailed the boat.

Make sense or is that his they do it anyway

Thanks
Bill
It's better to mark the turnbuckles before they take any slack off the rig.
A piece of tape around the threads where the ends of the body sits.
Make sure you have documented the position of each shroud.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Knut has it. We forget to mark the turnbuckles when we pull the mast for winter storage and we spend the whole following season re-tuning the mast. The marina crew will do whatever is quickest for them when it comes to getting your mast out, so your marking it ahead of time is the easiest for both you and them.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Tape it before it comes apart. Odds are you will still have to retune the rig. I mark mine every year and still end up tuning. It's hard to go by the markings. You can put a loos gauge on each shroud and back stay(s) and document it that way as well. Shouldn't need to change your forestay.

·
Registered
23,856 Posts
Tape at each thread is the way to get it back to exactly where you found it. However, if the boat is new to you, I would highly recommend having it retuned properly.

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
May arduous use of your digital camera. Close-ups from all angles of each turnbuckle. Digital photos cost nothing and can be so helpful.

Me, I would go from stem to stern and photo-document the entire boat. It will not take you 30 minutes and it is a joy to have when you are thinking "Now, what was the right way to place that thing..."

Rik

·
Registered
119 Posts
May arduous use of your digital camera.

Rik
Excellent idea !!! I place a yardstick next to anything critical that I have to shoot w/ a close-up setting. Most freebie yardsticks are only in 1/8 in. increments and those tick marks are easy to see on a small screen later. I had some buddies help me take my mast (small) down amazingly fast. A bit too fast as they just took everything apart and I was clueless when putting the rig back together when I re-launched. I appreciated the help, just forgot to document anything and give clear guidance. My fault... You sound like you have some good advice so far. Good Luck, Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts